Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Mid September 2012 Pics of My yard

tropicalzone7
11 years ago

Summer is definitely over now with days now comfortable. For me the biggest sign of fall in my yard has been the longer shadows. Parts of the yard that would be in full sun up to 12pm are now shaded all day long. The sun is only about as high now as it would be in early April, fortunately temperatures are still milder than that!

Here are some pics of things around the yard. Hopefully we still have a solid 8 weeks of growing season left to go!

Here's some pics of the plants around the pool area...

The elephant ear is now about 8 feet tall. Its hard to believe it's just an ordinary elephant ear especially since NYC soil isnt really known to be all that great

Allamanda blooms are getting noticeably smaller. Anyone overwinter this one indoors?

Hibiscus blooming well

My largest plumeria is also blooming well. I will prune it back BIG time next spring because it's very difficult to actually see any blooms when they are 12 feet above the ground.

The Alocasia is not going to be a lot of fun to dig up this fall, but it sure has done beautifully. I hope it does well next summer too. The ginger is better than ever also with 5 bloom heads at the moment and plenty of time left to get some nice blooms!

Tillandsia bloom. Usually the blooms open fast, but this one has been showing for a week and a half and it's still not fully emergest yet. Probably will look nice by this time next week. Any idea on the species?

After 3 years of bad timing, my pretty princess plumeria has finally bloomed outdoors. 2 winters ago it bloomed nicely by a sunny window indoors, but the winter before that the inflorescence fell apart indoors long before blooming.

Livistonia hidden under lots of foliage. It will look really nice around November after all the big tropicals are dug up for the winter.

Trachy getting bigger every year, but still unimpressive compared to the beautiful trachys that you all have! It's about 4 feet tall now.

The passion vine almost seems to bloom better in cooler weather.

Got this Euc in late July/ Early August. It has tripled in size. I think it's E. cinera and Im not sure if I will put it in the ground or not.

The Rubber tree got a massive pruning so it looks a little bare right now. The philodendron xandu is going to need a much bigger pot next spring. It made an aireal root that's over 6 feet long! Anyone know how they overwinter indoors. Philodendron selloum usually loses many of it's leaves indoors and makes a quick recovery every spring.

The backyard as a whole

The Bougainvillea had a lot of leaf growth, but few blooms. Its in a really sunny spot and has seen plenty of drought stress, I guess it is taking a break from blooming this year and Im hoping for many blooms next summer!

I got the ti plant as a 1 foot tall sick off of ebay and it has grown a lot since. I like the form of the leaves, a lot of the ti plants they sell locally are more dwarfed in form.

African violet in full shade (also gets no overhead mositure from the rain) and is loving the fall weather. It didnt bloom during the summertime because of the heat, but it has plenty of blooms now!

Some ginger bloomheads

Here are some of the plants in the front yard

The Dragon wing begonias will be blooming well into fall. They are one of my favorite annuals since the leaves are large and the blooms almost seem like they will never stop. They are kind of hard to find at local nursuries some years, but there were plenty this year!

The crape myrtles are slowing down with their blooming, but still have some blooms left.

Sabal Minor did really well this summer, its a fast grower compared to other minors.

One of my favorite gingers and most reliable bloomers, my spiral ginger.

View of the plants in the front yard from above

Hoya bloom

Stone crops blooming really early this year

Another pic of the sprial ginger

Here's another big flower head coming up on the spiral ginger

Geraniums liking the more comfortable weather

Brugmansias also seem to bloom best in this weather

Canna blooms

Not sure what to do with the alphina ginger. I think I will dig as much up as possible and hope for the best!

My Camellias are all doing well. The Autumn blooming one (closest to the front) should be blooming in a month. Anyone have the "Long Island Pink" cultivator and know the usual blooming time?

Majesty palm doing well after a kind of rough start.

Nighttime pics of the front yard plants

Plumeria at night

Thanks for looking! I hope this fall is a good one. Nothing is better for the plants then some 80s in October!

Summer is definitely over now with days now comfortable. For me the biggest sign of fall in my yard has been the longer shadows. Parts of the yard that would be in full sun up to 12pm are now shaded all day long. The sun is only about as high now as it would be in early April, fortunately temperatures are still milder than that!

Here are some pics of things around the yard. Hopefully we still have a solid 8 weeks of growing season left to go!

Here's some pics of the plants around the pool area...

The elephant ear is now about 8 feet tall. Its hard to believe it's just an ordinary elephant ear especially since NYC soil isnt really known to be all that great

Allamanda blooms are getting noticeably smaller. Anyone overwinter this one indoors?

Hibiscus blooming well

My largest plumeria is also blooming well. I will prune it back BIG time next spring because it's very difficult to actually see any blooms when they are 12 feet above the ground.

The Alocasia is not going to be a lot of fun to dig up this fall, but it sure has done beautifully. I hope it does well next summer too. The ginger is better than ever also with 5 bloom heads at the moment and plenty of time left to get some nice blooms!

Tillandsia bloom. Usually the blooms open fast, but this one has been showing for a week and a half and it's still not fully emergest yet. Probably will look nice by this time next week. Any idea on the species?

After 3 years of bad timing, my pretty princess plumeria has finally bloomed outdoors. 2 winters ago it bloomed nicely by a sunny window indoors, but the winter before that the inflorescence fell apart indoors long before blooming.

Livistonia hidden under lots of foliage. It will look really nice around November after all the big tropicals are dug up for the winter.

Trachy getting bigger every year, but still unimpressive compared to the beautiful trachys that you all have! It's about 4 feet tall now.

The passion vine almost seems to bloom better in cooler weather.

Got this Euc in late July/ Early August. It has tripled in size. I think it's E. cinera and Im not sure if I will put it in the ground or not.

The Rubber tree got a massive pruning so it looks a little bare right now. The philodendron xandu is going to need a much bigger pot next spring. It made an aireal root that's over 6 feet long! Anyone know how they overwinter indoors. Philodendron selloum usually loses many of it's leaves indoors and makes a quick recovery every spring.

The backyard as a whole

The Bougainvillea had a lot of leaf growth, but few blooms. Its in a really sunny spot and has seen plenty of drought stress, I guess it is taking a break from blooming this year and Im hoping for many blooms next summer!

I got the ti plant as a 1 foot tall sick off of ebay and it has grown a lot since. I like the form of the leaves, a lot of the ti plants they sell locally are more dwarfed in form.

African violet in full shade (also gets no overhead mositure from the rain) and is loving the fall weather. It didnt bloom during the summertime because of the heat, but it has plenty of blooms now!

Some ginger bloomheads

Here are some of the plants in the front yard

The Dragon wing begonias will be blooming well into fall. They are one of my favorite annuals since the leaves are large and the blooms almost seem like they will never stop. They are kind of hard to find at local nursuries some years, but there were plenty this year!

The crape myrtles are slowing down with their blooming, but still have some blooms left.

Sabal Minor did really well this summer, its a fast grower compared to other minors.

One of my favorite gingers and most reliable bloomers, my spiral ginger.

View of the plants in the front yard from above

Hoya bloom

Stone crops blooming really early this year

Another pic of the sprial ginger

Here's another big flower head coming up on the spiral ginger

Geraniums liking the more comfortable weather

Brugmansias also seem to bloom best in this weather

Canna blooms

Not sure what to do with the alphina ginger. I think I will dig as much up as possible and hope for the best!

My Camellias are all doing well. The Autumn blooming one (closest to the front) should be blooming in a month. Anyone have the "Long Island Pink" cultivator and know the usual blooming time?

Majesty palm doing well after a kind of rough start.

Nighttime pics of the front yard plants

Plumeria at night

Thanks for looking! I hope this fall is a good one. Nothing is better for the plants then some 80s in October!

-Alex

Comments (17)

• LagoMar
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful lush urban jungle you've got there! Just the way i like it!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks LagoMar!

And I just realized that I copied the post twice accidentally, Wish I could fix it. Really sorry about that!

-Alex

• chadec
    11 years ago

You have had some amazing growth this year. Your ensete is starting to tower over everything. Your brug blooms look nice. My flower pods keep getting knocked off from our bad weather.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Chadec! The Ensete definitely did get some good growth this summer, but I was hoping for even more, maybe next year!

And I had that problem with my brugmansia a lot during it's first year. How old is yours?

-Alex

• orchiddude
    11 years ago

What is that tall skinny palm in the picture with the red plant? I like it.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Really amazing selection/diversity looks like a tropical paradise!

• jacklord
    11 years ago

It all blends together perfectly.

Just curious, are you in Queens or Staten Island? You home looks very un-NYC.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Everything looks great! Always amazed by your awesome garden :)

- US_Marine

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

The garden is really a credit to you. But no doubt a labour of love.

* Posted by orchiddude:
    "What is that tall skinny palm in the picture with the red plant? I like it."

If it's the one about 23 down, below the writing, "I got the ti plant as a 1 foot tall sick ....", looks like Ptychosperma elegans.

• orchiddude
    11 years ago

Thanks, I need to find me some of those. Nice looking, really nice looking...

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

So wrong so wrong so wrong. Summer is not over yet! Who do you think you are, Jim Hardy with all this negative speaking of horrible weather!

You are far sicker than me, my friend. I can't imagine what you do with all of those plants in the winter. You must post pics of the inside of your house come w^(t@r. You are obviously single with no children or pets! :)

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Tropical....wait did I read that correctly NYC? You have this beautiful exotic garden in the Northeast? How in the name of Pele is that even possible? Are most of your plants in pots? Saw a mention of "digging up" and "over wintering"?? You plant and dig up to plant again the next warm season? If so where do you put it all?
    I commend your dedication. I live in San Diego and can't grow half this stuff! Awesome space. I so want a mai tai now!

Can you please tell me what the purple plants are under your elephant ear? I need some suggestions for non invasive or shallow rooted plants for under my Howea palms and that's a pretty contrast.

Thanks for sharing.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Orchiddude! That palm is a solitaire palm. It's a great palm indoors and out! Tropicalbreezent got it right!

Thanks Jim!

Thanks jacklord. Im in SI, not as urban as most see NYC, but still not as much room as I would like to have!

Thanks Bradleyo! Yeah, it gets to be a lot indoors, but luckily my family doesnt mind too much (well they mind, but they know how much it means to me!) and my dog is pretty good with not eating any plants (but she does love to get into the garbage). I will definitely post some indoor pics when the time comes!

Thanks Island! Yup! I live in NYC! Some plants are in pots, some are in the ground. A few, like the palms in the ground, survive the winter with some protection (I just put some christmas lights and a garbage bin over them). Others like the elephant ears and bananas are easy to bring in and store for the winter. Some of the plants cant be dug up (like the coconut palm and tropical palms) so those are in pots and get put by a sunny window! The plumerias go dormant so they are pretty easy to keep indoors, but the large one might not fit indoors this year! The Passionvine, cannas, and ginger are hardy.
    The purple plants under the Elephant ears are called Purple Heart. They will be evergreen in your climate which is a huge plus! They look good up until temperatures get into the upper 20s, then they die back. They are hardy to zone 8 and up, but they come back for me since they are in a good microclimate. They are a little invasive, but easy to control and I think they are worth growing for sure!

Thanks for looking everyone!
    -Alex

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Thanks Tropicalzone. I never would have imagined that piece of paradise in your neck of the woods. Thanks for the scoop on the purple heart. My Howeas are in a narrow planter area of their own so I should be able to keep a little invasiveness under control. I always think of flowers for color so little gems like your purple heart escape notice until I see inspirational pictures like these.
    I'll have to check out gingers too. Love the ones with varigated leaves, but heard they can be stingy blomers.
    Of course, plumerias. Love them. A couple of my neighbors have big ones in their gardens that are so beautiful in bloom, but different story when they aren't. If only they were evergreen.

Your allamanda, stonecrop and hoya also caught my eye. Will have to research those.

Can you please tell me what the upright plant with the big fan shaped leaves is; the one to the right of the umbrella?

Thanks.

• jacklord
    11 years ago

I figured it had to be Staten Island, the one borough of New York City I never resided in.

Ever hit Killmeyer's? Great German place.

• TAB3230
    11 years ago

Do you know what is your's hubiscous variety is? I have same kind but can't find what is that? Your flowers and plants look awesome, are they in Florida?

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have never been to Killmeyer's, but I looked it up and it looks like a great spot. Im surprised I havent heard anything about it.

And TAB3230, the hibiscus is called "Painted lady". Its a great bloomer and a very common variety. It's planted in the same pot as a red variety that is a little less common, but didnt bloom yet this year. Thanks for the compliment. A lot of these plants can be found in Florida, but all the ones in the pics are in my NYC yard! Some of them did come from Florida originially though either through mail order or just nursuries.

Thanks for looking!
    -Alex