Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tropical island in Lake Erie

Posted by islandbreeze 6b mi (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 15:15

Put in Bay is an island in Lake Erie and part of northern Ohio. There are tons of tropical plantings on the island. Here are some pics from my hotel...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tropical island in Lake Erie

Another

o

Queen, Phoenix, agaves

o

My dad used to go on a yearly fishing trip there and my sister-in-law is also a regular. Apparently it's a super fun place. That washie is great, I bet they overwinter it based on the number of fronds it has. I'd be interested in finding out how they do it if that's the case.

o

I heard that the waters surrounding the island have great fishing due to the deep waters and cliffs that surround the islands in that part of the lake. It really is a very fun place.

I agree, it would be interesting to see how they overwinter all of their tropicals on the island. In the second pic in the background, you can see a very robust and healthy 6 foot trachy with fronds all the way to the ground. I have a feeling that there is a company that comes and plants and removes these plantings every year, based on the size and number of huge Alocasia planted around the island. They aren't public plantings either, all private businesses.

One restaurant has at least a 15 foot long bed of Black Magic elephant ears. Really a sight to see, along with even a Bismarckia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here