Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving

Posted by chicago_palm 6a? (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 15:33

I am moving in December to another home in the same zone. I want to move my in ground palms (two of them are 4 feet tall). Any recommendations? Should I remove them now and place in pots. How about winter storage, since I can't plant until next spring. I have an unheated garage or basement as an option. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving

Here is a picture of my European Fan Palm and my Windmill Palm. Both are finally established after 3+ years in the ground. Too bad I have to give them a new home.

o

Oops! Here is the European Fan Palm.

Algonquin-20120710-00046

o

Great looking palm! I definitely think it's worth trying to move! Just make sure to get as many of the roots as possible. Dig it up before the cool weather comes and make sure not to plant until the danger of last frost has passed in spring!
-Alex

o

Here's the deal: the palms you have are extremely difficult to move . However, who's to say that the next person who moves in won't just get rid of them anyway? Especially if they need a lot of winter protection which I'm guessing they do up your way. Dig them up and try to save them.

o

Thanks for the advice. are Palms similar to other trees whereas the roots extend out to the drip line?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here