Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What soil for my Sago?

Posted by aggierose Tx-Dallas (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 15:40

I have many Sago's in pots that have been there for years. I want to put one of them in the ground. What kind of soil is best for them? Regular potting soil? Sand? Shale? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What soil for my Sago?

Sago palms are very tolerant so they really dont mind what soil they have. But I think that in dry climates its probably best to have soil that retains moisture and nutrients better than sand. In wet climates that have cool winters, sago palms can rot if there is a lot of standing water so mixing soil with some sand might be a better idea. Im not sure about the type of soil you have in Texas, but that might be good enough for the sago palms. Maybe you can mix it with some potting soil also. Some fertilizer in the spring will give it better and faster growth and will probably establish it a little quicker too.
Good luck!
-Alex

o
RE: What soil for my Sago?

The best thing to do for a sago (cycas revoluta) is to plant it on a slope with a free-draining soil, such as a cactus mix. I once had a beautiful, big sago in the corner of my yard and, unfortunately, the soil did not drain, and its roots rotted, and the plant died. Learn from my fail! The one that was on more of a slope is still going strong. For that one I used a mixture of perlite, potting soil and sand to plant it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brad's Tropical Paradise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here