Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentia123

Kentia Palm - too much water or too little? Please help!

kentia123
10 years ago

Two month ago I bought new kentia palm for indoors, the first one has died. Now the new plant just started to have few yellow tips. At different nurseries I keep hearing different opinions � some say it�s because too much water, other say too little water. Can I have YOUR opinion please looking at these 3 pictures? This is 6 ft palm in 5 gallon bucket, planted in Hawaiian black volcano soil, which consists of pretty large granules. I water it once a week with 1 liter (33.8 oz) bottled water. Water gets thru the soil very quickly, within few seconds I see some water coming out of the bucket bottom holes, which means it doesn�t stay there too long. So, is it enough water or too little? Please help, I hate to lose another $100 plant!

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago

It's a tropical palm--not a desert cactus, water it. Mine gets hosed down every other day and it rains here too.

• kentia123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes njoasis, this is my feeling too even though at couple of nurseries they told me to water once in 1 or even 2 weeks! I don't know how water can stay for 2 weeks in this volcanic rock soil that feels like a glass. Anybody has different opinion? I can try to water it maybe twice a week, but how do I tell if IâÂÂm overwatering it?

• chachacharlie
    10 years ago

Is there stagnant water in the saucer? I had a big Kentia once, planted in volcanic rock soil. The water would go through really quickly but I didn't realize it was remaining in the saucer. Slowly, it started to deteriorate and by the end, it went really fast and it looked the same way yours is.

• kentia123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, there is a little bit of water coming out of all four bottom holes in the bucket.
    So what should be the solution? Water the palm more often? May be re-pot it into the bigger container and use regular soil around original volcanic rock soil so water could stay in there longer?

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Really hard to overwater one of these as long as you have really well draining soil in a really well draining pot. Check the soil 1/2 day after you water... it should feel only barely damp, not sloggy... if it's still soaking wet, you have a drainage problem. You need to fix that so water really pours out the holes in the bottom when you water this palm... these palms however, are amazingly drought tolerant... I have forgotten to water mine sometimes for over a month and they show little damage from that abuse (indoors.. outdoors they suffer a bit more since they dry out faster). that's one of the reasons these make such good indoor palms... very tolerant of a wide range of conditions. Low light, high light, dry, moist etc. .. .but not sloggy soils.. they will start to rot then. So, If your pot drains super well and your soils are nice and really well draining, you can safely water this palm daily to weekly... should do fine either way... may grow faster the more you water it, though.

Every few months you need to really water it well- take it outdoors and water the heck out of it over and over again- this is rinse out the accumulated salts that tend to build up in the soil in potted plants. Heavy salt build ups are really hard on palm roots.

• kentia123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your advice! I will try to water it twice a week now and see how it goes.

• PRO
    Black Tulip Flowers L.L.C.
    8 years ago

Please check the soil porosity and drainage. I think it salt accumulation and salinity problem. Change the soil medium or repot with new soil media. use clean pottable water

• mesembs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think it would be good to water a bit more, but also make sure you are watering with salt free water, and with excellent drainage.

Usually I go by this rule: if the leaves are brown with a crispy feel, there is either underwatering or the water is just not reaching the leaves.

If the leaves are brown with some yellow with no crispiness, it is usually overwatering.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!