Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

New Planting Space!

Central_Cali369
10 years ago

Hey guys and girls,

I haven't posted in a while but I'm always checking in to read all the new posts.

I recently moved into our new home in Fresno, which is a few degrees warmer than our previous location. I'm really excited to start planting out some new palms. To start things off, I planted two majesty palms, which have done really well at my parent's place, so I'm optimistic about how much better they would grow here. I also just picked up a Rhopalostylis sapida this last week at a local nursery and will be trying that out in a shady spot since I'm afraid it would not do well in our blistering summer heat.

Here's to a new yard ready for the planting!

Below are some updated pics of palms at my folks' place. The Majesty is doing extremely well this year.

And the Jubaea seedling I planted in 2007 finally has spit leaves. This has got to be one of the slowest growing palms!

Comments (4)

• bradleyo_gw
    10 years ago

Congratulations! I love rhopies, they are beautiful palms, though I know nothing about their culture. I've seen them in the Bay area which is obviously much, much cooler than you, though I don't even remember seeing any inland in the East Bay (I lived in Walnut Creek 12+ years ago).

Have fun gardening although I suspect you'll run into some problems in Fresno, my impression is that it gets extremely hot in the summer, so that may eliminate some species you can grow otherwise. It always amazes me what you can grow there with no natural rainfall for much of the year. I wouldn't want to see your water bill!

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the East Bay Bradleyo. The Ruth Bancroft Garden is one of my favorite places to buy plants. They have a lot of the proteacea plants (leucodendrons, grevilleas, proteas...) and probably every aloe species known to man, including the large tree aloes which are so hard to find north of the grapevine.

As far as watering goes, mulch is the answer!! haha I mulch a lot. it helps maintain moisture in the ground, so that even the thirsty majesty palms can do well with a watering once a week. I have actually replaced my entire front lawn with grasses and drought tolerant plants so that eliminates the need for excessive summer watering. I have a completely xeric part of the yard as well which gets absolutely not water besides rain.

• us_marine
    10 years ago

Nice palms! Is that Majesty growing in the valley? I've only seen a few that big and nice in the valley! What are some of the rarer (or less common) palms you've seen in Fresno?
    - US_Marine

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    10 years ago

US Marine,

Yea, that palm has been growing north of Madera for about 4 years now. It started off as a houseplant and has only been covered during cold nights with a light blanket.

I've seen several majesty palms throughout Fresno. I don't think that many people have caught on to the possible palms that can potentially be successful here. I have seen king palms, foxtail and majesty palms showing up throughout different neighborhoods. It will be good to see how those palms do from year to year. There are parts of downtown fresno and some of the higher elevations of the city where banana trees remain green year round. I bet there are other people like me who are experimenting with borderline palms.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH