Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redrayderz01

Chinese Fan Palm Problem - Hardening white stuff in soil

RedRayderz01
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have a Chinese Fan Palm tree in my flower bed in the front of my house. There is this hardened white stuff around the tree in the soil probably within a 4-5 ft radius of the trunk. It spread through the soil and mulch and hardened and I literally can remove a whole chunk of mulch the size of 2ft by 2ft because it is all stuck together from this white stuff. A couple of the plants have died around the tree like dwarf grass and a day lilly, maybe due to lack of oxygen?. Is this white substance normal for this tree? Is it mold or sap or something? I'm no expert but I don't think it's normal. The tree looks fine but I don't know if this is hurting it or not.

Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Can you please post a picture. It wasnt clear is it on the tree, in the mulch, or in the soil?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Sounds like a mould or fungal hyphae. If so, it's part of ordinary breakdown of mulch and organic matter in soil. You may have a different one to the usual that has somehow got in (airborne spore). If a few plants have died then it could have done it. Possibly it's only active near the surface of the soil and hasn't affected the palm roots deeper down.

But that's just guessing from what you've said. Photos might help. There's a whole "another world" on the micro level in the soil. It like warfare in there with all sides being in a state of balance. But every now and then you can get something upsetting the balance, perhaps a new "invader" that the others can't bring under control. Then it can start affecting the plants sometimes with disasterous effects.

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will post a pic tomorrow! I appreciate your help!

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic #1

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic #2

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic #3

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All,

I just posted three pictures above of the Chinese Fan Palm and the issue I'm having. It is a bit difficult to tell from the pictures, but the white mold/fungus/sap (whatever it is), is in the mulch mainly, about 1-2 inches deep. In Pic #2, look closely at the big chunk of mulch stuck together from the hard white stuff, it's like a big solid piece and I was able to pry it out of the ground.

Thanks, let me know what you guys think and what I can do about this. Should I just get a hoe or rake and break it all up or something? Too much water, too little water? I have no clue at this point what this stuff is and what I should do.

Also, in Pic #1, you can see the dwarf grass in the lower right corner that is pretty much dead, and the mulch around it is rock hard from this white stuff as well.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I think that I have had this problem before and while it looks like something that would cause a problem, I have never seen it hurt any of my plants. Sometimes it lasts for a year or 2, but it eventually goes away. My croton had it about 3 years ago, but it's still alive and well to this day and plants are much more vulnerable to those type of things in pots than they are in the ground.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I'd go with it being mould/fungus. I've often seen wood chip bonded together like that. It shouldn't be a real problem. Conditions have just favoured one micro organism over the others, but it should balance out after a while.

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. The more I think of it, I don't think it has anything to do with the palm. I'm gonna remove the moldy mulch today.

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

Could it be a form of Aphids?