Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!!!! Need help identifying palm

Posted by cbal74 Oahu (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 18:20

I bought this palm about 6 years ago and was told its a old man palm. Knowing that these palms have a beard I ask the lady what happen to it. She told me whoever had it before had trimmed it off. I bought the plant thinking maybe the beard would grow back. 6 years later the plant doubled in size and never grew a beard. My aunt has a old man palm and it looks exactly like this minus the beard. I have germinated about 35 baby's from this tree. I would hate to think its a old man palm and it's not. Any help would be appreciated!!!!! Mahalo!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!!!! Need help identifying palm

More pictures of palm

o

Pic 3

o

Offspring from palm. 3.5 years old

o

any chance you could post them upright?... I have a very hard time looking at things sideways. They look like Coccothrinax species, though.

o

I tried to post them up straight but it keeps putting the pictures sideways

o

Could this be an European Fan Palm? I have one that looks like it.

o

Definitely not med fan. No expert here, but I'm guessing thrinax or coccothrinax.

o

My guess would be trachycarpus takil or latisectus.

o

It doesn't look like an Old Man Palm but it might be in the same genus Coccothrinax.
Good luck with it, it looks very healthy!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here