Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

Dwarf thai coconut

sandy0225
12 years ago

I was just talking to an acquaintance of mine who owns a thai restaurant. He said back in Thailand there is a cocomnt that only gets to be about 12 feet tall and bears clusters of smaller coconuts. He said that they taste like a regular coconut and if you wanted to, you could grow them in a pot. Does anyone know what this would be? or how you could get seeds of it? He goes back to Thailand sometimes, but I don't know if this is the kind of thing you could get past customs if he tried to bring back seeds.

Comments (7)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Cocos nucifera 'Niu Leka' is a pretty dwarf variety and will bear at a young age.

As for seeds, the actual coconut is the seed. I think its the largest seed in the world, not postive, pretty sure though. It doesnt look like a seed, but it is. The only problem is that while coconuts are easy to sprout in the tropics, they are very difficult to sprout in temperate climates because they need a good 7 months of temperatures that get into the 80s before they start to show vigorous signs of growth.

I dont know what customs would do to a coconut fruit, so you better ask ahead. And if possible, try to get a coconut that has just begun to sprout. They do not have roots until a few months after sprouting (you can probably find pics of this online), and I think the best time to get one would be in June. That way they have all summer to establish themselves in a pot and they are nice and strong when they go inside for the winter.

Also I have 2 coconut palms, both tall varieties (one of them might be a semi-dwarf) and they do great. They will never fruit, but I have had them for 3 years now and I think that I can keep them for another 10 years before they get way too big.
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Alex: I thought the coconut was the largest seed in the world too, but I found out the giant fan palm or lodoicea maldivica seed is. It can weigh up to 44 pounds and can take 10 years to develop.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Your right, the Locoicea maldivica does make the largest seeds in the world. It kind of looks like a coconut but with fan shaped leaves. Apparently the seeds do not float like Coconuts do and Im not sure if the seeds are edbile or not, but I can see why "Coconut" is used in the common name.
    -Alex

• rioryanjr
    12 years ago

yep we have 2 dwarf coconuts growing in our back yard in Philippines. there about 10 feet tall very healthy. the fruits are so low you can just pick them.. the produce a cluster of about 8 baby coconuts and the baby coconuts are freaking delicious especially the sweet juice. its all I drink to quench my thirst. I actually sneaked one coconut into the states and tried growing it but it died. coconuts like hot humid weather!. California is just to coool..

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Everyone I know who lived in the tropics cant say enough great things about "young coconut". I have yet to taste one, but I cant wait to try them someday. I hear they are much better than fully ripe coconuts!

And Cali is a bit too cold for coconut palms. Some have luck by bringing them in and heating them on cool nights, but I only know of one coconut to have ever survived year round in Cali and it is right by the ocean (moderaing effect) and right next to a sidewalk (the pavement warms it up a little). It has never fruited though.
    St. Augustine, FL was the farthest North I have seen a coconut survive outdoors all year long in the USA and fruit, but the record cold in Florida the past 2 years killed it. Bermuda has fruiting coconuts and that might be the northernmost latitude in the world where coconuts will fruit (I hear the fruit doesn't ripen fully there many years though, and I dont think coconut palms reproduce very well in Bermuda either, so they always have to be planted to grow).
    Coconuts are Definitely my favorite palm tree!
    -Alex

• us_marine
    12 years ago

Yeah, California is too cold and wet. The one tropicalzone7 is talking about is the famous NewPort beach coconut palm. If I remember correctly it has been there over 20 years. There are a few other coconut palms that I have read about on other forums.I seen pictures of one in Oceanside and one at the San Deigo zoo. I dont know how long they have been there though. Coconut palms are very rare in California.
    I have to bring mine in when winter comes. If only our winters were warmer! They always seem to grow well the rest of year. Probably to tease us, lol

- US_Marine

• rioryanjr
    12 years ago

You don't wan't ripe coconuts. The inside jell that is normally eaten will be about over 1/2 inch thick to hard and to thick to bite on, but the juice will be sweeter compare to a very young coconuts fruits. What you want is a coconut that is young and super green the inside jell will be nice and soft "looks transparency "and you can scope it with spoon, just sprinkle it with a touch of sugar and your in haven!. Coconut fruits that is green with slight bit of brown on its skin will be semi old already and the jell is started to hardened. the jell will looks semi white still soft but as it gets older it will turn super white hard by now the coconuts fruits has turn brown.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor