Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can rotting of pot hurt plants?

Posted by Hunter_M Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 19:41

Hi, I have my coconut palm in a wooden pot. Im afaid with all of the rain I have been getting here it may start to rot. Will it hurt the plant?
Thanks!
-Hunter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can rotting of pot hurt plants?

If the pot is starting to rot, you may also have rotting issues inside of the pot. Further, rotting wood can begin to grow fungus and other nasties, which could get into your soil and into the roots of your plant. If you see any signs of rot in the wood container, I would repot it into something that does not rot. Wood containers are great, but don't last forever. That said, you SHOULD be able to get at least a few years use out of a wood container before it begins to degrade, especially if it s not sitting on soggy wet ground. (IE Concrete or a raised deck)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here