Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is killing my palms! Help!

Posted by TracyPaleo Arizona (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 20:12

Here is a picture of one set of three clustered palms. The tree behind this set of palms will be chopped down because it's way to messy. Do you think the tree is killing my palms? The other set of palms have a BIGGER one of those messy trees next to it. I should of never let this massive trees grow out of control next to my pool.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is killing my palms! Help!

Closer picture of the other set near the swimming pool.

o

So, I cut down the tree and started turning the soil. Yikes!!! There were cockroaches, little silver armored critters (they ball or roll up to protect themselves. Their outer shell reminds me of a armadillo shell.) And other ground crawlers. It looked like a whole nest of them. Something like out of a movie. They were everywhere! So, I put down the Crawling Insect Killer with Diatomaceous Earth. I put down on top of it Palm fertilizer. Hope this does the trick.

o

A lack of water might be doing it. How dry is it 6 inches down?

o

Actually with cockroaches and the water bugs (the little armadillo-like guys), sounds like too much water with rot going on. Do you have an irrigation system? Is it leaking?

o

The leaking of the irrigation system might sound correct. The tree I cut down sprouted out on it's own without a water irrigation and it's roots are tangled around the main irrigation system. I will have to do some more digging around the roots of what is left of the tree.

I will also take a look at the soil 6 inches down. when I was digging up the soil around the tree the soil was moist but not muddy wet. If it's rot I might not be able to safe the palms? :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here