Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfmacaws

new coccothrinax miraguama

sfmacaws
15 years ago

So, the guy at the nursery swore up and down that this palm was Cubano, that it could take the heat and the salt air on my deck and do fine.

I just planted it and I'm hoping he is right.

{{gwi:1166280}}

Here, with a big cousin coconut palm behind it.

{{gwi:1166281}}

The pot is fiberglass so it doesn't breathe, I'm a little worried about how much to water it. I think I'll raise the pot on a couple pieces of coral to help the drainage. I'll bring it inside the hurricane curtains if needed but, do you think it will OK here otherwise?

Comments (12)

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Cool palm!looks like a cross between a T.wagnerianus and Bismarkia nobilis

• david_
    15 years ago

Looks like a miraguama to me and about watering it needs to be well drained but not dry completely out and it should do fine. One thing about these is the roots grow fast and will fill your pot faster than some palms.Being root bound is not something they like and will kill them eventually.By looking at yours my guess would be 1.5 to 2 yrs.Are the fronds stiff with silver on the bottom ? if you can show a pic of the leafs I can tell you for sure if its a cross or not.Here is a sub species of miraguama coccothrinax cupularis

• sfmacaws
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, your picture looks the same to my untrained eye. I just took these pics, the wind is blowing so it is hard to keep it still. The fronds are very stiff, there is a slight bluish cast to the underside, I can't really tell though. The trunk has a very distinct looking webbing, it looks like burlap.

I had the guy at the nursery plant it and didn't want the dirt all the way to the top as we had to drive it over here to the coast. Now, I'm worried about the exposed roots sticking up. Is that a problem? I tried kind of mounding dirt up on them for protection, probably not useful.

{{gwi:1166284}}

{{gwi:1166285}}

{{gwi:1166288}}

• david_
    15 years ago

Looks like a miraguama to me but is slightly different than the ones I have seen. Probably just a variation. Nice palm. Here is a pic from the Pacsoa site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacsoa

• sfmacaws
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now I'm noticing that your first pic the fronds form a complete circle while on mine it is more fan shaped. Is that relevant or is it something that changes with age? On the link they say it is slow growing, that's also what the nursery said. That would be good.

What about the roots sticking out of the soil? Should I try and re-pot it and get them lower?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

• david_
    15 years ago

Yes the frond should form a circle and some of your frond are close to doing that so maybe they will after a few more fronds. I have some small ones that have not formed a complete circle yet but each frond they get closer to it. If yours never changes it could be hybridized with another coccothrinax but it is very close to a true form.

• david_
    15 years ago

Yes you can add some dirt around the base but I doubt it will hurt it like it is except you have a really cold morning and it freeze the roots.

• sfmacaws
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No chance of a cold morning here :) I'll let the roots stay out then. Thanks for the info, I'm learning a lot here.

• steve0910
    15 years ago

You have a vary nice palm there. Like David's cupularis, there are 2 or 3 more sup species that I have seen like roseocarpa, macroglossa (not very rigid leaves) and arenicola. There is a lot of genetic variation within each group so I wouldn't worry about trying to match it's appearance exactly to any sub species (by the way...looks like roseocarpa type characteristics to me). The rigid leaf and that burlap tell for sure you have a neat miraguama. A more pronounced silvery color on the underside of the leaf may come later. Have to agree with all of the advice posted above as to care. I have seen these these planted in pure sand. If you like I could post a photo or 2 of some miraguama around here.

• sfmacaws
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I'd love to see pics of more of them.

It's been raining off and on all day, I put the pot up on some coral so hopefully it will drain better. Drainage has been worrying me though, they potted it at the nursery using the heavy jungle dirt and it stays saturated a long time. It packs down a lot too. I may end up trying to add rocks and even sand to the pot. I hate to disturb it again though, I can't decide which is worse for it.

• david_
    15 years ago

I would not worry about the soil to much in a pot if its draining. Your weather is perfect all year around for these so unless its puddling water on top of the soil and its draining it should be ok.If you think its holding water to long you can remove the soil around the root ball and and add some sand and perilite. Just don't tear or brake the roots.I use my hand and remove the dirt very carefully not touching the root ball. Good luck

• sfmacaws
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I'll relax a little and keep an eye on it. It poured all day today and water didn't stay on the surface.

We are definitely in the zone for it if it does come from Cuba, it's out there waving its fronds at the homeland straight across the water. We look out at the tip of Cozumel and beyond that is Cuba.

I may wash some sand to get some of the salt off and add it carefully around the root ball. Or, maybe I'll just wait and not water it until it dries out on top.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH