Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese fan palm (Livistona chinensis)

Posted by fin2ya Finland (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 20:43

I bought my first chinese fan palm 2 weeks ago. When I brought it to my home first thing I do I put a few drops of extra virgin coconut oil and dish soap to the warm water. I cleaned the whole plant with the cotton patch. It was a little dirty but no bugs. 4 hours job :D
Then I put it in the shower. Soil was little dry. Next, I set the palm insulation for weeks. Check again. Everything was Ok. Now palm leaves are dark green and fresh. I really love this palm. It is so beautiful. I am very excited about this plant. The winter it lives in my living room with 2 coconut palm and another house plant.
I hope you will clear my text. My English is not very good but I try and learn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese fan palm (Livistona chinensis)

Beautiful, just do not use sink water right away, dissolve low % vinegar in water, kill carbonhidrates before watering, and keep water in container for at least a day to make chlorine vapoorated.

o

Livistonia's are one of my favorite palms! Mine survives year long outdoors in New York City, but I do protect it during the winter. Usually it gets some damage during the winter even with protection, but the fronds grow back quickly and really beautifully. Your palm looks great! They do good indoors and outdoors too!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Update. It is a little bigger than 10 months ago. Gorgeous. I really love it. In winter, just a little water and a lot of spray in the morning. Fan to take care of air circulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here