Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tangobutt

47 degrees forecast tomorrow night in SE MI...hardy palms/banana?

Tangobutt
12 years ago

So what do we do, oh experts on the forum? This is my first year with these guys (musa basjoo, windmill, sabal, sugar cane grass, bamboo, fan).

Thanks for any help!

Mary in Ann Arbor

Comments (5)

• ttls1
    12 years ago

47 wont hurt anything you have listed there at all. It will start slowing growth but thats it.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

47 is definitely chilly enough to start slowing growth down, but it wont do any damage, so I wouldnt worry about them! Just a sign of Fall coming unfortunately :(
    -Alex

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Mary I have already had 45* at my house despite the fact our daytime highs are upper 70's low 80's. Nothing missed a beat. As far as slowing down growth I am not sure about that. Remember when you actually hit 47* it will be like 4 or 5 am the coldest time of the day. And this time of year it was be only for a very brief moment (an hour or two) then a rapid warm up. I don't think anything you have will be affected much by a short dip into the upper 40�s. My bananas and palms are steady growing even though I have had 2-4 nights dip briefly into the upper 40�s. Now if those temps lasted for several hours say until noon and still didn�t warm up more that the low 60�s then I would say you would noticed a significant slow down in growth. Enjoy fall.

• Tangobutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's not fall yet...Tropical Storm Irene got to the Great Lakes and said "I like it here! I think I will stay and make these people think they live in Seattle!" Not fall till Sept 21. And the last 70 degree day for the past 3 years has consistently been in mid-November here in the SE corner of MI.
    The first 70 degree day has consistently been the first week of March. Yes, I am a geek. I keep track.
    The rain every day from the backside of this storm has made all the plants and mosquitoes happy (baby banana trees all around!) but we're like prisoners! Catching up on last year's House episodes at least. My ceramic work takes double the time to dry- orders are taking a lot longer to do!
    Looking forward to the return of the rest of our regularly scheduled summer. Till then, I have been collecting branches full of dead leaves to put around my clueless palms (a tad later).

• User
    12 years ago

I am actually looking forward to the Fall and some cooler and DRIER air. Been ridiculously HUMID here (probably due in part to MAJOR flooding in the Northeast) and still need air-conditioning. I see that cooler air in the extended forecast right now, but this time of year, these fronts have a history of washing out and stalling along the coast. 47 F. will not be a problem for any of the tropicals you listed. Depending on the species of Sabal, you might be able to pop it in the ground have it survive unprotected right through Winter.