Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec7a

N.C. Zoo Photos

chadec7a
12 years ago

Wasn't aware of all the palms that were growing in Ashboro, N.C. and the cacti that they had outside was amazing. Makes me want to go back this winter to see if the stay out all year unprotected. I remember the agaves but some of the taller cacti seem new to me! Alot of the tags were missing so I don't have I.D.s on the different agaves and cacti.

These were taken inside.

These were taken outside.

And some palm trees!

Some inside palms and bananas. Pics are kinda darks evens with the flash on sorry.

Thanks for looking

Chad,

Comments (11)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful zoo!!! I love the palms and subtropicals, I'm glad that they used them for a tropical look!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Great pics Chad

Were you stalking the lady in the last pic?

She showed up in a couple pics (-;

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed all the palms. They had about 100 windmill and needle palms planted.

Jim I wasn't stalking! She was posing for me.lol

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

THey look like they have a wise gardener who knows what they are doing. We used to have a cold palm friendly gardener at the BBG. The new person didn't cover the tall tracky palm for 2 yrs and after last winters blizzard it finally gave up the ghost.

In the last photo with the large palm, is that a tent like structure sustained all winter?

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The last photos or any photos where i stated that where inside, is in a giant glass dome. Very humid area for sustaining tropicals. The desert area was extremely hot and the tropicals were actually a little cool. I can't wait to go back this winter to see his they protect their outside cacti.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Chad

It looks like the outside Cactus are the hardy variety,
    even the barrel in the 10th(?)pic is hardy to possibly single
    digits if kept dry-
    I had one in my Cactus bed for 2 years but trapped moisture finally got it.

In some ways Cactus are more fun(if not m/fun than definitely easier(-:)than palms.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim- I just have not come across a hardy cacti that grows vertically in our zone. Asheboro is in zone 7b. I have my doubts that that cactus in pic 10 stays out unprotected. They also had 8' tall cactus like in pic # 4 outside. I bet they dig it up.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Yea,I think a Saguaro in the desert is in trouble around 15-20F if not more.
    I do think the barrel is probably o.k. there- as I mentioned
    (I think)mine survived single digits at least/most?(-:

I does look a bit behaggered though-sometimes areole loss or
    damage (if it has some)is a sign it has endured near fatal cold.

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

Those are some big Saguaro! Imagine one of those bad boys falling on somebody. Ouch! That first butia looks like it's in a nice microclimate, under that large tree, raised bed, and next to a brick building. Looks nicely protected.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Islandbreeze you can tell that pindo was in a courtyard, very well protected. The other pindo was out by the Elephants and had received winter damage. It only had a few fronts on it.

I would hate to be under one of those cactus if they did fall. But I really would love to have a saguaro skeleton like the ones they had.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I heard a story of a guy shooting at one with a shotgun...
    -in AZ-it fell on him and killed him.

What in the world ya thinking of?

Instant karmas gonna get ya!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm