Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wetsuiter

Big, robust, seeding windmill in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

wetsuiter
11 years ago

These windmills at the Royal Rose B&B are frequently photographed and posted to this board by us locals and surprised tourists.

But few people think to walk around back to where the biggest palms live. I'll spare you the pics of the shorter male (12'), which is beautiful in the spring covered with yellow inflorescence. The female towers over the male. Estimate it between 15 and 20'. This time of year, it's covered with developing seeds. Some predicted her demise when she started peaking over the 6' privacy fence which blocked winter winds, but apparently nothing bothers this beast.

{{gwi:1167621}}

{{gwi:1167622}}

{{gwi:1167621}}

{{gwi:1167623}}

The owners always let me harvest the seeds. I'm gonna need a taller ladder and bigger bin this year! Thanks for looking.

{{gwi:1167624}}

Comments (10)

• aloyzius
    11 years ago

I love it. My favorite part is the little deer. I want a corny fake deer to go with my tropicals, though convincing my wife hasn't been easy.

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funny. I posted a pic of this tree a few years ago. Everyone loved the fake deer. I didn't even notice it. Not sure what that's all about.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Maybe we are so used to seeing palms that......
    oh look,a little fake deer,isn't that nice.-LOL

Nice looking palms-does the deer ever come out,or is he shy?(-:

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Clearly, Windmill Palms are a sure-fire plant in Rehoboth Beach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Those are some very healthy looking windmills. That's awesome to see them growing so vigorously unprotected north of Virginia Beach.

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

We're really lucky here in Coastal Southern Delaware. We can grow great, unexpected plant material. Windmills, needles and minors are proven great performers here. Birminghams do great, but are hard to come by. More tender palms like Mediterranean fans and pot grown palmetto and other subtropicals like oleander are being tried more and more and show great promise with proper seating. Unfortunately, unprotected pindos seem to be just out of reach in our borderline zone.

If you look to the bottom left of the big palm, near the fake deer, you can see the top of a baby windmill that is probably three years old. There are many babies around her base. I've convinced the owner that we need to transplant them in other areas on the street next spring.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Wetsuiter,

Sorry im late to the party!!

Love all of the Pics!! Those Windmills look so healthy.

Remamber 5 years ago? We didn't see much around here.. now look at all you have up in your area. I bet in 5 more years, you will see a big change including what you have introduced to your area. They don't realize what you are doing for the Palms to come back to the Eastern Shore and points North into Delaware.. Let the Zones be pushed!!

Way to go V. All of my palms are doing great. They have grown and are looking good. Hard to believe they have been in my yard now for 18 years.. I dont climb the ladders anymore.. Son has that duty to cut old fronds..

Remember ..im a "granny" LOL!! Shhhh! Dont tell to many..

: )

Thanks for the wonderful thread!!

Laura

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Laura. I'm noticing more palms around the area but they're widely dispersed. It'll take many more years for the beach areas to embrace a look like this.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

With your help... they will be many in the coming years!!

Bravo to you and your dedication!!

Laura

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've got a few palm allies here who are doing there part. Two are landscapers who include windmills and/or sabal minors in all their professional jobs.