Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rufio275

Help with Indoor Areca Palm

rufio275
9 years ago

In the spring I bought an areca palm to put in my bedroom after hearing that it could improve the air quality in the room. I potted it in a large pot with rocks at the bottom to aid drainage and placed it in a spot where it wouldn't receive direct but rather indirect sunlight. The only window in the room faces southeast. With watering every few days, the plant did well for the rest of the spring and through the summer.

Now that it is fall, however, it seems to be struggling, and I've read some conflicting information about what to do. The fronds of some of the larger, otherwise healthy shoots are beginning to dry up and turn brown, and the entire plant as begun to droop in the direction of the window, which--maybe I'm crazy--I took to be a sign that it wanted more light.

I moved the plant down and across the hall to the opposite side of the house where there is more sunlight in the afternoons and evenings. This seemed to have little affect. Also, I read that the soil of the palm should remain moist, so I tried to water it more regularly, removing any standing water which I understand is bad for the roots. But then I read that you should let the soil dry out before watering.

At this point I'm pretty confused about how to care for this palm. I'd really like it to survive because it looks (or looked) great, has definitely helped alter the air quality in the room, and wasn't exactly cheap either.

Thank you for any advice you might have!

Comment (1)