Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My 9 year-old Zamia got seriously infected! Please help!

Posted by HGueretly Egypt (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 4:47

I have 2 Zamia palm (Cycad)trees in my garden that got infected probably few weeks back, but I just noticed it yesterday (I have pictures but for some reason, was unable to post them). All new shoots coming from the heart of the palm tree have withered completely, and some have small round holes in them. I noticed also a lot of snails on the withered shoots which look like feeding on something. Any idea what should I do to same the tress? Pls help urgently. Thanks. NB: If someone thinks he/she can help and would like me to send him/her the pictures, pls email me the mail address to which to send the pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My 9 year-old Zamia got seriously infected! Please help!

I'd say frost, but I don't think you get frost very much in North Africa! Heat damage maybe? or sun damage?

o
RE: My 9 year-old Zamia got seriously infected! Please help!

Thank you for trying, but it can't be heat or frost. The weather has been very moderate last few weeks in Cairo where I am living, and the 2 tress have been thriving last 9 years in weathers much more accute than last few weeks. It must be an infection of some sort. The gardner (who is not a sofisticated one) claims that it is a new type of infection that came with plants imported from China lately! He sprayed it yesterday with an insecticide, but am not sure if it is not too late, or if it will be effective!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here