Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovethosepalms

Windmill Palm update from Kentucky

lovethosepalms
14 years ago

Well it is getting that time of the year for a update picture of my Windmill Palm.

Here is was in 2003

And here it is now.

{{gwi:1168443}}

Another picture

{{gwi:1168444}}

I don't post much anymore, but for the old timers on the forum I think you will remember this Palm.

Even without much of a summer, it has grown some.

Comments (25)

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I also wondered if someone would want a Queen Palm, it's getting too large to bring in, this will have to be the last time to get it in the house. One thing I have thought about that I could cut a hole in the concerate and plant it in the center of the padio, then get someone to enclose patio with windows and make it a sun room.

I leave the queens out under porch until it gets down in the low twenties and then I bring them in.

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

wow I remeber when you put that in the ground. It looks great!! Is it a male or female? Did you ever think about trying a wagnerianus . Im glad it looks so good.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

It looks fantastic. I never realized windmill palms got that much growth in only 6 years (but im sure it was cared for very well!)

Good luck.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

WOW-THAT'S A BEAUTY!

• fr8train
    14 years ago

Very impressive, I wasn't expecting that much growth! Your windmill looks great! I hope I'll see that kind of growth someday.

• rambler24
    14 years ago

I live in TN and planted a windmill palm and a needle palm this past spring. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what I should do, if anything, to protect them this winter? I would love to hear what you have done since your winters are worse than mine. Thanks for the post.

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, I forgot how to tell if they are male or female, in lighten me.

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

the male flowers open and then mature fore a few days or week.They will have yellow powerder all over them. The female flowers will not and they will look like a bunch of green dots and if you shake pollen on it when there ripe you will see pollen stick to the female parts.

• islandbreeze
    14 years ago

Yeah, i remember that palm. Thats one of the fastest growing windmills I've seen. Clearly a long term survivor. What was the low temp you got down to last winter? I know last winter was a cold one for many of us.

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

Its in a very visible spot I wonder what neighbors say? How do winterize? What lights do you use?

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Island, it went down to 4 degrees below zero, that was the coldest I recorded, we had a bad icestorm and that really hurt the palm.

Brook, my neighbors have never said a word about the palms, however I have had a few people that deliver packages and things asked about it. The only protection I use is I put mini christmas tree light around the trunk, I have no idea if this helps anything it just makes me feel better.

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

i heard lights are a great help, and your tree seems like proof :)

• serj_ukraine
    14 years ago

lovethosepalms, how long (how many hours) you had 4 degrees below zero?

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I cant believe no one asks about it! They probably think its fake because of the trunk, but thats a real, healthy, windmill palm. At least you get to enjoy it, I know I did :)

Good luck!

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ukraine,

It stay at 4 degree for several hours, and the highest temp, of that day was 17 degrees.

I have a picture of it last winter in the ice storm, I will find it and post it in this thread.

I so enjoy it, and I planned two 10 gallon out in front of the house this past summer.

• serj_ukraine
    14 years ago

lovethosepalms, thanks a lot for answering! Good luck for your palms in future.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Serj
    You could always get lovethosepalms general location and look at weather underground.They keep records so.....you could actually go back a few years and see what the weather was like before and after the -4(F) event to see how cold hardy Trachys really are.
    I'm guessing the weather "warmed"back up not to long after the cold event?

Lovethosepalms
    What's the nearest large town we(or I) could compare to your area for weather data?

• anttisepp
    14 years ago

Great palm,
    great palm-grower,
    great respect! :)
    Antti

• planterjake
    12 years ago

Wondering how you rWindmill is doing after the past year and a half? Would love to see pics of it!

JAKE

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Id like to see pics too! My dad is getting an interview for going to north Kentucky for a job. Lets see how it goes!
    What part of KY are you at?

• kent_mc
    11 years ago

The first photo was supposed to have been taken in 2003, but the date of the photo was 4/9/06 at 4:38 p.m. The second and third photos were taken on 10/24/09 at 6:57 a.m. If these dates are correct, then there were only three years between the first and second photos. I planted two windmill palms three years ago, and they have only slightly grown. I would like to know how this palm grew so rapidly. My zone is now 6b based upon the new 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness map. Has anybody else had such rapid growth?

• palm_crazy
    11 years ago

I'm so encouraged to see these photos of your beautiful windmill palm in KY! I planted this one in 2010 here in southern WV (Appalachian Mountains, about 2600' in elevation) and it has grown about 2' in relatively short time. I do protect it from late Nov. to early April because Appalachian winters are so wet.

• palm_crazy
    11 years ago

Windmill palm mid-July 2010 (southern WV)

• palm_crazy
    11 years ago

Windmill palm July 2011 (southern WV)

• josh_ky
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@lovethosepalms I, too, live in KY. I was wondering how your palm has fared since 2009. Particularly, the famed "polar vortex" of 2014.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville