Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garryendson

Sub-Speicies of Trachycarpus fortunei

garryendson
16 years ago

Trachycarpus fortune , in a scientific sense,is a general name for all its sub-species including Trachycarpus fortune cv Chusan, Trachycarpus fortunei cv Tesan and Trachycaprus fortune var Winsan,etc. When people normally talk about Trachycaprus fortune, it refers to the most common T.fortunei cv Chusan.

Trachycarpus fortune is native to China with a cultivation history of thousands of years and right now is commonly seen around the word. When it comes to the cultivation practice in China, it has several categories or sub-species according to the trunk, leave and hair, cold hardiness serving different functions and uses. The classification is as follows for reference.

1. Trachycarpus fortune cv Tesan (rarely seen in the market) :

It is a good new rare species , famous for its cold hardiness -20C.

2. Trachycaprus fortune cv Chusan ( most commonly seen in the market):

It is the most common one we see in life and exporation to abroad from China.

3. Trachycarpus fortunei var Winsan (rarely seen in cultivation) :

what makes them special is that they have full round leave with segments making a full round shape as compared to the 1/2 or 3/4 shape seen in other species.

4. Trachycarpus fortune var Misan (only seen in some wild mountains) :

The interesting thing about them is they have elegant small leaves shifting from yellow to green , only about 1/2- 3/4 of the size of T.fortunei leave.

5. Trachycarpus fortune cv Hasan ( not so commonly seen)

It is like Trachycapru fortune cv Tesan in term of the trunk

Its hair is kind of fragile and easy breaking .

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Trachycarpus fortunei sub-species including tesan

Comments (10)

• southern_il_boy
    16 years ago

Wow... that is some interesting info on the Trachys. And the website link was fascinating. Too bad we can't get those over here in the U.S. yet. Maybe soon though.

• blondboy47
    16 years ago

It's amazing how huge they do grow in those small pots. I wonder how they get such drastic growth. I wouldn't mind finding out how they make their fertilizer and what soil concoction they are using as well as conditions.

• mike-jaramillo
    16 years ago

southern Il boy I have done buisness with them in the past. The do sell seeds. I have some from the trachy tesan

• southern_il_boy
    16 years ago

Mike,

Have you found the trachy-tesan to be as hardy as they describe? Do you protect them at all in winter?

• mike-jaramillo
    16 years ago

The ones I have are in 5 gallons and they are very cold hardy but like most small palms they need some minimum protection just to keep them dry during the winter. When they get bigger I am sure they they will be even more cold hardy. Plus these are straight from china where fortunei come from anyway. I know here in the usa its possible to get fortunei with stiff leaves and some with softer droopy leaves. I have a few friends who got seeds from me and all of there tesan have a stiffer type leaf.

• flattie
    16 years ago

I recall seeing some bulletin board with a nursery in China that was selling a species of trachy that was definitely not princeps, but had a white waxy back like princeps and very deeply divided leaves like t. oreophilus. Given that princeps and nanus came out of China, there could be all sorts of stuff the west has never seen but that is 'common' to some remote village in China. Truly sad that even the new discoveries may be doomed due to China's horrible conservation practices.

P.S. is anybody growing t. princeps in the desert SW - specifically in a 7b climate? My 3 small potted seedlings thrived this summer in full sun in Albq., and are just now beginning to develop fans. They will go in the ground in a year or two for a longterm survival experiment in this climate. Interestingly the seedlings have had the white waxiness really go nuts now. Its a shame this isn't more common as it really is a cool palm. I am also growing seedlings (like to start small) of nanus, and 'Naga Hills'. There is all sorts of variation in this genus and most of it for better or worse is in closed territory. THanks to the original poster for some cool photos.

• garryendson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Flattie:
    The one you talked about have white snow color underneath with highly divided leaves is NOT Trachycarpus princeps , BUT Silver dwarf palm- Trachycarpus spp with short trunk and thorns.
    The T.princeps we have is real T.princeps we took from the habitat , the stone gate area where the first T.priceps is from originally. I have been there twice and touch and photograph of the T.princeps in my own eyes and hand. It is amazing to see T.princeps in the steep cliffs overseeing the river. But unfortunately, T.princeps has been added on the red list as endangered species by the Chinese government and it is far harder to obtain the seeds right now than before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Dwarf palm, not Trachycarpus princeps

• flattie
    16 years ago

That's it! Nice.

• JohnnieB
    16 years ago

The "silver dwarf palm" appears to be Guihaia argyrata.

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

Do I have a sub-species or a hybrid.
    The leaves are fuller and stiffer than my other T. fortunei's.

Underside:

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County