Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Sequoia

Posted by jimhardy Iowa 5b? (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 11:14

coming out of winter and the Sequoia a couple days ago-not bad for a drought year!
March 5, 2012
If you look to the far left-you can see what the Washy was covered with last winter! 0:
Photobucket
Oct16,2012
Photobucket
Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Sequoia

Wow, i didn't know that 1. Sequoia can live in your area unprotected and 2. They go dormant in winter. The ones I've seen are more like giant pine trees.

o

Your weather app..I took a look Jim. Pretty wild for you..57 and 37 tonight...then 80 and a low of 60 by Tuesday.

o

what all palms are you growing..seems like your doing a little zone pushing with a few of those lol

o

Lago

They brown out here when small,supposedly this gets better as they get older and have more sap-antifreeze,we'll see.

It has kept a little more color each year...yea but don't look to close at that March pic...(-;

Stan

Even wilder this week with summer like thunderstorms(5.5" this last 10days)and lows in the 60s with 80s possible too,
then colder next week/weekend with highs in the low 50s!-And-maybe some snow north of here 0:

Mike

In the ground 27(?) palms
3 varieties of Sabal, 7 different Trachycarpus,Washy-Butia Eriospatha,2 Needle palms...some other stuff too-like T.ferns....etc.

o

And he spends every August through February wrapping them all up for winter, and every March through June unwrapping everything. ;-)

o

That's a heck of a comeback Jim! Looks like it's almost doubled in size. Have you tried growing Southern Magnolias yet? Edith Bogue is very hardy, handles my winters with no problem.

o

Ryan

This may sound funny but since I don't own the house I have to
watch how much stuff I plant(-;

All the good spots next to the house are taken by palms-

I am thinking of trying one of these hardy Orange trees that
Tim in Mass sent me seeds from.

Anyway-I would love to have a Mag out in the yard too-for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here