Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enormous Sagos -- what do you guys do?

Posted by denninmi (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 11:46

What do you do when your plants outgrow our homes?

I'm not really comfortable putting this one in the greenhouse and trying to overwinter it in there. Not as hardy as a Trachy.

It's actually a clump of 3. When I bought them a few years ago, they were the basic chain store size in 3 gallons. I potted them all together.

They must be happy, because the new growth this year is about 3 to 3 1/2 feet long, and overall about 6 plus feet tall and about 4-5 across.

Well, it's back in the house for THIS winter. I kind of trussed it up like a turkey with some bungi cords, which helped. But, another year of increase in size, and they're just no way it will fit in the house. My house is small, actually.

What do you all do with things that you just don't have space for anymore?

Give them away? Sell them? Donate them to some public building like a library or school?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enormous Sagos -- what do you guys do?

I'd probably divide them next Spring. Keep one; give away or sell the rest.

o

How 'cold' do you keep your greenhouse? No, they're not as hardy as Trachys but they should be okay in a chilly/cold greenhouse that is essentially frost-free. I overwinter my big boys in a chilly garage (35-60 in the Winter).--No problems! Keep dry.

o

I actually prefer to keep mine in a cool place since mine has a tendency of making new flushes indoors (despite never being watered and being away from a window) and when it flushes indoors, the fronds are very long and cannot tolerate sun. Sagos can even handle freezing temps. Unless your greenhouse goes below 30F, it should be fine.
Good luck!
-Alex

o

Thanks for the replies.

UNHEATED greenhouse, except for some CFC bulbs a la the 'Artictropical' method that Kevin from N. Utah has shared with us on so many threads. Trachies did great last winter this way, but I just don't think a sago would make it.

Alas, parting is such sweet sorrow, but next year, they'll probably just have to go. I can always pick up some new ones the following spring at HD or Lowe's.

o

What's your gardening zone? What are temps in your greenhouse? Average max/min? Extreme minimum? I can only speak from personal experience. I'm in zone 7 and have mine (must have four, larger tripple-planted specimens) in a large, detached, loft garage which faces due south. The worst of Winter is usually January. I run a fan and a small space heater--just to keep temps above the level of frost. Minimums in January are around 32F inside on very cold nights but days may not get out of the 40's at times of cold and clouds. Milder periods (even in January), can push temps through the 50's into the 60's (maximums). Never have any cold damage despite the fact that the cycads are on the ground and not raised. At the same temps I also overwinter large queens, Phoenix, Chamaerops, more tender species of Trachycarpus, Sabals, Chilean Wine, and Butias. Among the cycads, I have also overwintered Dioon and Encephalartos. I do however, have a problem overiwintering the Cardboard Zamia in these same conditions. This year, I may push things by seeing how long I can keep my Spindle and Triangle palm out there--they too have gotten big and I would prefer not to have to bring them in. Right now though, all the more cool tolerant palms and cycads are still outside as temps minimums have been no lower than the 40's--hardier tropicals may remain until December when temps really start to drop to frosty levels. PS., It is important to keep the cycads DRY if you decide to leave them in your cold greenhouse.--Mine are too massive to even consider bringing inside.--Besides, inside they get mealy bugs and scale big time! Good luck!

o

You must have had them for quite a few years for them to get 6 feet tall. Do they have pups? If so, try rooting some of the pups next year - it's much cheaper than buying new plants. I have a sago that I've kept in a pot for over 13 years and it's only a couple of feet tall - including the fronds. And it is sporting several pups. Think "bonsai" when you start over. Sagos grow so slowly they don't need a huge pot. Mine is in a pot a little taller than, and about as large diameter as, a one-gallon pot.

o

I have 4 Sago's I have had now for almost 15 years now in pots and they are pretty ginormous now and keep them in my unheated garage which can dip down to the mid twenties and have never had any problems, they can easily take temps down to 18-20 degrees, the frost I believe is what will damage them more so than the cold.Keep them on the dry side and you should be ok.

o

Yes, I keep my large sago outdoors until nights get into mid to upper twenties, then move it into the cool garage until the next mild spell, then back out again. They really don't need that much light. The cool temps keep them from flushing as well. I have to use a hand truck to move it. Weighs a ton! I used to be able to hoist it up into the box of my pickup in the garage. Took less room. But not any more!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here