Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One last time outside

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 13:14

Remember Heuy Lewis "If this is it, please let me know" I think I DO know and this IS it. We hit sunny and 62 yesterday Today through Thurday high 60s low 70s and mid 50s at night. I pulled everything out yesterday for 4 more days of sun and comfortable temperatures, I have a spot in the front of the house which gets 10-15 degree warmer then the actual temperature when the sun is out. I may even see some growth. After Thursday though Ugh mid 40s 30-60% chance of rain for as far as the eye can see. Just in time for the World Series to come to Detroit. I really wish the AL had won the All Star Game.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One last time outside

But then they would have to play more games in Detroit where it is cold(-;

I wish the Cardinals had won but they won last year-I am not that greedy....

This is it......-I think of Micheal Jackson(-:

We have had summer like meso-scale convective systems this week
and approaching 6" of rain this month-more than we got over summer!

In the 60s/80s the next few days before we shift to mid/late November temps with highs around 50 )-:

All the tropical plants and potted Cacti come in Thurs-Fri.

We have had so much rain the trunk on my Cereus Peruvianus cracked!

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

Jim-
they are now saying mid 70s here tomorrow and Thursday. Which are game 1 and 2, then we could have moved to Frisco after the crap gets here. Oh well cant control the weather. it's cloudy and 68 right now with a summer like dew point of 59. I couldn't believe it when it was 62 out at 6 this morning. Pull for my Tigers, they've been sitting around for a week and San Fran comes is smoking after the past 3 games.

o

Waiting for the Big One here in NJ.--or maybe no big deal. Some forecasts call for Hurricane Sandy to move into either the Mid-Atlantic or NE coast some time on Monday into Tuesday. Preliminary potential of 10-15 inches of rain and tropical storm force winds if not higher. Tender palms are in the basement but have to sit in the dark for a few days. Outside, Queens, Washys, Dates and others either to get bungeed or move into garage. Seasonal forecast through January is warmer than normal though for most of the country, except southeast and wet coast.

o

More models agreeing with this now,that Sandy beach bares watching!

o

Njoasis, where did you see that seasonal forecast? I hope you're right. Anything like last winter, and I wouldn't even have to protect my palms.

o

There have been so many anomalous, bizarre storms, it's almost not news anymore. Soon, people will begin to rush the Big Box in the Northeast for hurricane supplies--which are all now decorated for Christmas. Offshore ocean temps near record levels from Carolina to Canadian Maritimes. As a purely tropical system the next storm will be able to maintain hurricane strength to northern latitudes--not including the extra boost from Mid latitude jet stream forces! All said to be occurring on the exact one year anniversary date of the bizarro, 2011 Halloween, 'snowopolis' event, which preceeded a record warm winter!

The winter forecast calling for warmer than normal is from the Weather Channel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forecast

o

Too bad. I wouldnt trust a winter forecast from the weather channel. Too biased. They have a vested interest in hyping global warming hysteria. It was just over a week ago that long term forecasters were saying warmer than usual through December but a rough winter ahead. Hey I'm hoping that weather channel is right... Im sure they'll be hyping this storm as well although Im betting we get little effect as it stays out to sea.

o

Sounds like someone has been drinking' the Kool Aid. Vested interests?! Give me a break! It's called 'physics'-- get used to it!

o

Psychics maybe. If it were physics it would be rather plain to see what part of what natural cycle we are currently in. The vested interest is that they only make money if people watch their channel. They make money on people's paranoia. "I've got to watch the Weather Channel to see what happens with this big storm". It's amazing how short people's memories are. They totally forget the last time we had a high hurricane cycle, and haven't been made aware that we can name any cluster of thunderstorms now to add to the totals. Many named storms now wouldn't have been even tracked 10, 20, 30 yrs ago. This winter we'll be talking about "Winter Storm Athena". They figure if they name winter storms they can drum up some more attention. One warm winter and we've completely forgotten the two previous horrible winters. Ah, well. Maybe not in Jersey, eh?

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

o

I heard a warner than average winter also, 2 in a row seems like too much to hope for. last winter was the mildest snow free winter i ever remember (I'm 43). They are now saing almost 80 here today but them it hits the fan, cold and rainy tomorrow partly sunny 49 on Saturday. I've had everything out since Sunday getting as many rays as possible before the long winter.

o

Keep in mind that the weather is cyclical-we had several
cold winters here in a row so,whats the problem with at least a few mild ones?

Who knows maybe there will be a lack of cold air like there was
a lack of warm air during those harsh winters...

I would not be to quick to right of climate change -saying
it's not true is no different then saying it is happening-
your just picking another side-why not observe from a place of non judgment?

I go by what I see and my gut-I don't pick sides.

Wouldn't want to be a member of any group that would have me as a member anyway(-:

GM

o

You're right, Jim. It is cyclical. And I definitely agree that we "deserve" another warm winter! I hope the latest winter outlooks that seem to be popping up are correct (warmer than usual). In the end, we get what we get and not one of us can determine it ourselves (although with an imagination like yours we can at least determine the climate for a few of our most treasured plants).

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

o

This is a great hobby,passion etc....I was just telling someone today-
how cool is it to come home in winter and see palms in your yard!
Winter just doesn't seem so bad then(-:

The 15-20 day forecast has nothing I would need to cover a palm or cactus for-that would be fun!

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here