Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palm Tree with red stems

Posted by philipw2 7 MD/DC (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 13:22

When we were in hawaii last spring, I saw a beautiful palm with distinctive red stems. By coincidence my Kentia is finally hitting the ceiling and I have arranged for an outplacement. The space where the Kentia grew happily and healthfully is in our foyer, which has a very large window facing east above the front door.

Could anyone give me the name of the red-stemmed palm and could you tell me whether it is suitable as a Kentia replacement?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palm Tree with red stems

Red Sealing Wax Palm - Cyrtostachys renda

I don't believe it makes a good houseplant. They require high very high humidity levels. It actually gets too cold to grow them in the ground here in SE Florida.

o

There are many palms with red stems or crownshafts.

Areca vestiaria
Cyrtostachys renda
Dypsis rivularis
Areca macrocalyx
Dypsis lastelliana
Dypsis leptochelios

Unfortunately, none I could imagine would like drier indoor conditions. They are either sun loving large palms or tropical understory plants that need high heat and humidity. Now there many be some Calyptrocalyx spp. that can tolerate indoor conditions well.

o

Sorry about that, I guess I just assumed . . .

o

Red Sealing Wax Palm - Cyrtostachys renda
Wish it could be grown inside. Only if you have a greenhouse in zone 7.
One of the most beautiful and coveted of all palms. There is nothing that comes close to looking like a red sealingwax. Just search and compare a few photos. Very bright red trunk and leafstems. I grew two to about 3.5 feet (they are clumping & multitrunked) in pots and brought them inside at 45 degrees. however they are subject to a fungus even then. They died on me before I learned that. I talked to a grower with some 8' (about $1000) ones and learned that from him-he uses mancozeb or another systemic during winter. Not easy to germinate the seeds either-tried that but needs to be consistenly moist and over 80 degrees and may take 1-3 months. ultra tropical needs wet humid conditions and bright light and will even grow in swamps. Hates cold winds-very thin leaved. May try again. Palm Beach Palm and Cycad society is having their semi annual sale Oct. 14 weekend in Boynton Beach FL Caloosa Park-they will have some.
Rusty

o

I looked at my photos last night and looking up red sealing wax palm and that is the right one.

Too bad. I guess that is why they invented zone denial.

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to replace my Kentia with another one.

o

I've been trying to germinate the red trunk palms..sealing wax and scarlet...with no luck. Our heat and humidity here in SW FL should be perfect conditions! I keep the seeds moist but have not had any luck so far...anyone with any helpful hints?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here