Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digitalphrag

Cycas revoluta

digitalphrag
13 years ago

About 5 years ago, I bought a c. revoluta to plant out in the garden and test for hardiness in the area I was living at the time. Unfortunately, that same year we had one of the coldest winters on record and the plant died.

I left it in the ground until the following spring, but when I saw no signs of life and realized the trunk was mushy and rotten, I dug it up and tossed it into the compost pile, never to be seen again.

But, just today, my previous roommate sent me a photo from his phone of a single solitary leaf asking me what it was. Sure enough, it's c. revoluta.

He's not a big plant person and definitely hasn't purchased or planted any of them in the yard, so I know for a fact that he didn't buy one, plant it, and then forget about it.

The location of the plant is also suspicious. It popped up in another portion of the yard, probably 20+ feet from where it had originally been planted. However, it would be easy to assume that it might've been laid there when adding compost to that particular bed.

Anyway, I guess my question is, is it really possible that a seemingly dead and mushy plant that was presumed to be dead 5 years ago might've gone dormant for some number of years, and then when conditions were right, sprouted a new leaf?

Comments (5)