Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do you find a collection of each years lowest winter temp?

Posted by us_marine cali-z9b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 14:50

The ones that they average out to determine USDA zones for each area/city? It must be somewhere? I cant seem to find anything. I'm going to start recording my own reading, just to see how acurate they are. It should help decide what palms would be best to zone push and how much protection they might need on cold years.

Thanks,

- US_Marine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do you find a collection of each years lowest winter te

weather underground has that! click under "today's almanac" and it gives you historical temps for that day, click "view more history data" for every day of the year :D
http://www.wunderground.com

-Eric

o

Hi
All those zones record is the "average" low over a set period of time. I'm supposedly in 10 A but over the years have been as low as 8 and as high as 11 Who knows what this winter will be or the next etc etc.
They're just averages anyway. gary

o

Wow Gary! Its stunning that a zone 10 would ever drop into the teens. Where in Florida are you?

o

I started doing that yesterday but it takes a while. Was kinda hoping another site like USDA or soemthing would already have it on a list or soemthing. But I guess not. And yeah I know. I just want to see what the actual average is, and how often we have colder or warmer winters.

- US_Marine

o

Lagomar
It all depends on the jet stream. If it dips south we can get very cold though for a short time. .Coldest I've experienced was 25 for almost 6 hours while 10 miles west of me was 10 degrees colder. Will never forget the snow of 78 lol Can get cold as early as Oct and as late as march. but is VERY unusal . Right now we are experiencing a cold spell due to Sandy think we might hit 48 today which would be a record. I live very close to the gulf stream so highs and lows are moderated a lot lol
I always predict that it will be either above or below average lol have never been wrong yet!!! lol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here