Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Near 90 F tomorrow--Summer comeback!

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 15:43

Expecting near 90F. tomorrow as summer wants to make another comeback. No frost yet, so technically not "Indian Summer". I brought inside my coconut and some Hyophorbes already but most palms, citrus, and other tropicals still outside. Finally drying out--see how long that lasts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Near 90 F tomorrow--Summer comeback!

Comeback indeed. I was in the ocean today with my son (and fellow beach bums all over), and plan on spending even more time there tomorrow. Water, mid to upper 60's, so, palatable. SPF 50 applied. When life gives you diamonds...make the necklace. All tropical plants still outside, and loving it...

o

85F tomorrow with lots of sunshine! I'll take it!

All of my plants are still outside. I moved my coconut palms to full sunshine now (since the spots they have been in all summer long dont get full sun this time of the year). They are doing well outside and will probably finish pushing up the currently growing frond before going indoors for the winter.
Looks like low temperatures will be in the 50s and 60s for at least the next 10 days so hopefully I wont have to worry about frost for a few weeks! I'll probably start digging up some plants around halloween time and have them all inside (with the exception of the less tender ones) by thanksgiving the latest. It all depends on the weather though. Better prepared than not!
-Alex

o

I just brought my coconut palm in a few days ago. Didnt think it was going to drop into the low 40f's at night and highs only in the 60fs because of rain. At least it warmed back up into the 70f's and still 80f's in the forecast. But the nights are getting too chilly. She could be out for alot longer, but I like to be safe.
- US_Marine

o

I agree, 40s is a bit too chilly for coconut palms. I actually did bring one (our of 2) of my coconut palms inside for about 3 days when we had lows in the mid to upper 40s and day temperatures only in the 60s. But now that the mild weather is back, they are spending some time in the sun.
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here