Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briana_2006

germinating a coconut by planting in turface?

briana_2006
11 years ago

Hello all -

Thought I'd try to germinate a coconut. I have selected a "fresh" coconut from the store - fresh at least in the sense that it was a new arrival to the store. According to selection information at the store - I selected one I believe to be "heavy" for its size without any cracks in the shell and no appearance of any mold/etc - i.e. it seems in good shape and seems to have a fair amount of liquid inside. To disinfect it I submerged it for about 5 minutes in ~ 10 cups of water containing 10 teaspoons of bleach (1tsp bleach per 1 cup warm water). After soaking in the bleach solution I rinsed it well with water. I am planning to soak the coconut in water overnight. I am then planning to plant the entire coconut with the three "eyes--the small dark spots" facing up out of the turface and placing the plastic container it will be in on a table in a south facing window. I am considering placing a clear cover over the top that will allow light in and keep humidity up but am not sure if this will generate too much heat or mold - I would remove and replace the cover periodically (daily?). From my reading it takes about 6-9 months for a coconut to germinate if it is going to do it. I have the components for gritty mix (see container forum -)so I could plant in gritty mix if that would be better. Any suggestions for changes to my method to try to have the best chance at success?

Thanks,

Brian

Comments (4)