Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter prep almost complete

Posted by bradleyo 6a-Pgh (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 16:42

Most of my bulbs are planted (still waiting for the backorder), mulched my new bed, tilled the garden, planted garlic, prepped the plants to come in for the storm, cut grass, stole my neighbors leaves (for protection) as I don't get enough leaves from my one tree that really hasn't dropped any yet. Now I'm tired. After a record high of 84 yesterday, we had another day in the upper 70's today, only to turn to crap next week, may even get some flurries out of this storm. Best wishes to everyone in the direct line of the storm and all who may be affected. I hope it's not as bad as the hype.

New bed mulched. 2 azaleas transplanted from the front, basjoo, texas red star, butterfly bush, knockout rose, cleyera, trachelospermum asiaticum.

Photobucket

Still have some lettuce and strawberries

Photobucket

My boys are dueling

Photobucket

Got a new Minuet mountain laurel (bottom right corner)

Photobucket

Phil's previous advertisement made me want an Encore azalea (bottom left corner)

Photobucket

New Heaven Scent gardenia, it says hardy to zone 6, we'll see

Photobucket

Crinum putting out 4th bloom of the year. First year blooming, it's only put out 1 bloom at a time, and spaced about a month apart.

Photobucket

Big stuff dug up and ready for the house, planted a new Dystillium Blue Cascade. Supposed to be hardy to 6b, with red flowers in late winter.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Stuff that I dug, ready for the house

Photobucket

Photobucket

Veggie garden tilled

Photobucket

I believe this is a sweetgum. I love the multicolored fall coloration!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for looking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter prep almost complete

A lot of people were saying Irene was 'hyped'. Though, I expect that if they had a half foot of water in the basement, parts of their back yard submerged in over a foot of water, and out of power for several days, they woud think otherwise. We have so many turbo-charged storms along the coast for past 3-4 years, I take each one very seriously now.

Spent the day lugging citrus and palms into the garage, same as last year. Weather is humid and tropical. Debating whetter to take in tall queens--currently bungeed to a fence. If prediction continues to have an extended period of hurricane force winds, nothing containerized will remain outside. Irene was not so bad for wind, but for rain --in what was already a record WET year (80 inch total for 2011). This year, the ground is drier but there is more concern about te wind. Still, this one will bring over a foot of rain to places. Also, this is a very, very slow mover once in comes ashore and may even do loops in the track. All signs point to a big storm, but Mother Nature has the final say in the matter.

Bradleyo, your yard is so manicured and neat, I have huge piles of leaves all over. Will wait till after te storm to do cleanup.

o
RE: Winter prep almost complete

I find it hard to believe people wouldn't be taking this storm seriously near you. They are definitely hyping it up here, it shouldn't be bad for us although everyone is up in arms because they keep saying snow in the higher elevations. Well, that isn't Pittsburgh, we might get some flurries, but of course the stores are packed with people filling up on milk, bread and toilet paper. Best wishes for the storm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here