us_marine

Pic update

us_marine
11 years ago

Its finally cooling down here.

Orange tree

{{gwi:1170904}}

Banana's/Avocado

My coco took some damage since I transplanted. I had to spray it 2x. But the damage looks like it has stopped. This one of the oldest fronds that started to get damage.

{{gwi:1170906}}

Looks a little beat up and yellow but this palm is pretty tough.

The newst frond(the tallest one on the left) is very dark green. I've never seen a frond that dark green on a Golden Malayan before, except a few times when you first get them. Its hard to see but in the center you can barely see a frond opening, its getting dark too. And interestingly there is also a spear getting close to unfolding as well. Some of the fastest growth I've ever had on my coconut palms.

- US_Marine

Comments (7)

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

I see you guys struggle with cocos. I almost bought one the other day, but my price limit is set at $10. They seem like too big of a pain considering all of the other plants I have to bring inside. They are semi-readily available at the Lowe's around here, but they are simply marked as coconuts, and they are $20. I'd prefer a dwarf.

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

wow your coco has grown a lot since last year. good job!

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually they are very easy palms just a little fussy is all. The only reason I am having problems is because I bought new ones that had a fungal infection that I didn't notice. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldnt have any problems. But yeah if you can get one you should :) I find the dwarfs to be fairly easy.

If the current spear opens up before this year ends that will be a total of 6 full fronds and half a frond in just one year :)

@ Eric- How many fronds have you gotten?

- US_Marine

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Yeah I dont think coconut palms are too much of a challenge. The talls are easier to grow than the dwarfs, but I have yet to kill a coconut palm and my oldest one is 3 and a half years old. The talls do grow much faster and taller than the dwarfs of course so dwarfs are better in pots long term although talls actually do better in pots than dwarfs do!
    I see very large coconut palms (12 feet tall or more)for sale here (and for a reasonable price too, under 200 dollars), but I have yet to see small ones for sale.
    -Alex

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

We have them at every Lowe's here in 3 gallon pots, some with split leaves, for $20. But I'd be much more likely to buy them in April or May, even June. They didn't even arrive in stores until late August. Plus, I'm already struggling with where to put stuff. If I have room left over after everything is in, maybe I'll give it a shot, especially if they're on the clearance rack.

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

@ us marine mine has also grown 6 fronds since last year and is working on its 7th now. the year before i only got 4 fronds, its definitely picking up the pace.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lucky, over here they do get them kinda a lot but they go fast. And they are always 30$ or more as well as small palms that rarely have any divided fronds. Have never seen one of any good size here yet either.

@ eric- Wow! Thats crazy growth, especially being by the coast :) Those fronds have got to be getting huge. I had one for about 4 years a while back. The fronds were getting very large.

Good luck :)

- US_Marine