Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant protection question, anyone familiar with this?

Posted by bradleyo 6a-Pgh (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 17:18

Anybody ever use these shrub jackets? It seems simple to install, but also blocks all light. Any thoughts?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant protection question, anyone familiar with this?

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I used one last year for my satsuma orange but only put it on during nights with predicted lows at 25 or less. Obviously I didn't use it much last year and the lowest we had along the coast last year was 25f so I guess it wasn't much of a test. Definitely didn't have any problems though. The good thing about this product is that much like burlap it allows the plant to breathe. If you're really worried you could also put the small Christmas lights underneath.

o

My only familiarity with satsumas is that they're not hardy here! Which one did you use? I figured with any of them I could put Christmas lights and shove some leaves in there as well. I'm somewhat partial to the white one because of the freestanding nature, however it also looks like it would provide the least amount of cold protection.

o

Well i would not put leaves in there. I think that leaves might do the opposite of help. Anyway I used the biggest one I could find. It looks like your top picture except it is the blanket style instead of the grill cover style if you know what i mean. I actually had to tie it around the tree instead of slip it over the tree. They were selling them at home depot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here