Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coconut burn

Posted by Hunter_M Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 17:35

Hi, I saw this on my coconut frond:
Photobucket

I know its probably a burn from the sun from the summer. Its been there for a while but I kind of forgot about it. Will it hurt the frond?
Thanks!
-Hunter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coconut burn

sun burning is okay its the lack of humidity which is probably causing the damage i mist my coco about 6 times a day and if i miss a few days the tips start to brown

o

I noticed a simliar thing on my coconut palms when they first went inside for the winter last year. It wasnt a big problem though. It could be sun burn too and if it is, then it will defintiely be fine! Keep an eye on it just in case, but as long as it gets a nice amount of indoor sun, and not too much water, it will be good! They dont like being watered that much indoors, but they do like being misted so try to mist it a few times a week, especially when the heat goes on for the winter.
-Alex

o

It's normal..just a little sunburn. I don't think misting helps much at all, it probably worsens things since water drops probably act as a magnifier. Your coconut is still a baby, so chances are it is getting too much strong, direct sun. Give it a break. :)

o

Is it on all the fronds? Can you take more pics? My coconut palms have never gotten that bad even though its very dry here with very low humidity. Just tip burn and thats about it.My original coco(sadly shes gone now :( but did not die from that she lived 4 years), did get sun burned badly once. Every frond turned yellow. Taking her out of the sun helped. The palm was inside going outside in warm spring weather. Forgot to acclimatize.

The one I have now is doing very well, the tips are burned and a little yellow but not that bad. I think the tip burning and yellowing has to with how much shade,water and humidity its getting. If it well watered, and not in full sun, they dont mind low humidity as much? I dont know but its a good possibility.

- US_Marine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here