Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
E,horridus makes miracle comeback!

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 18:14

This plant I bought in 2007,was planted out and..never grew a new frond. I think it was simply too much shade,although C&S and even a Sago palm in that same light thrive. Yet,it was a lack of all day sunlight I now know that caused it to sit until I couldnt take it any longer and dug it up with it's last two leaves in early summer this year. Those two slowly withered..and its seemed a sure gonner. Still,I put the now potted horridus into hot full sun area-the best I have..and just today I saw the new growth.
I read long ago-never give up on Cycads-no matter how dead they look. And it is so true.
Full size

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: E,horridus makes miracle comeback!

Very cool to see it come back for you! And I agree, never give up on a dead looking cycad. I have had one or 2 make a flush after appearing dead for months). They are very hardy plants, but some are hard to keep happy.
-Alex

o

Thanks Alex-they can be so finicky to thrive,then show a great will to live when you get them back to right conditions.

o

Thats great Stan,you also just reminded me I need to bring in
my E.Princeps that is flushing right now as the next few nights are chilly!

I also found a Banana plant in the basement (when I was storing
another down there yesterday)it sprouted in the dark and grew all summer down there!

Photobucket

o

Did you know that they can be propagated by leaf and heal cuttings, Jim? Someday,I might try that with my C circinalis and even the E.Horridus..at least one leaf if it ever has a nice crown.
I won't buy another E.horridus...I think horridus is more your reaction to what they cost...

o

Yea,at $200 for an E.Princeps this size I would love to try
a leaf cutting-when it gets more leaves!(-;

I do want to try another E.Horridus though Stan...one of my favorites,
along with just about any blue Cactus or Palm!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here