Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

fan-tastic...my trachy fort.

deep___roots
13 years ago

No worries here. This palm is looking great. How amazing are the fans of this species? Absolutely love them.

Comments (8)

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

That's a real beauty but it would be nice to have a reference for scale(-:

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Trachys are beautiful palms! One of my favorites! You have a nice looking palm!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• deep___roots
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fence in background is 6 feet tall. I'm crouching to photograph upwards. My trunk is only 4 feet tall on this plant, but it is thick. This palm was in a container for many years, but now it is in the ground and it is busting out!

• User
    13 years ago

They're my favorites too. So much so, that part of my collection focuses on various species of Trachys (even those not locally hardy--martianus, latisectus, etc.). Any palm that looks great in the dead of Winter, under a blanket of snow and subarctic cold is awesome! Deep roots, what species is that by the way?

• butiaman
    13 years ago

That's a great looking palm.If you don't mind me asking,where did you get that palm?All I can find is small seedlings on ebay.I would like to have a 3 or 1 gallon size plant.Yours looks very healthy and happy :)
    Randy

• deep___roots
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Purchased at Home Depot maybe 7 to 10 years ago for $15.95. I think it was a 5 gallon. I think it is your basic trachy fort., nothing special (I didn't even know there were different trachy varieties!). I don't go to Home Depot much anymore but I think they still have basic palms for sale, at least in California stores.
    It lived in a 13 inch square and 13 inch deep redwood planting box I built until 2 years ago. Before I planted it out, it was busting up that planting box. But I had to wait for the perfect planting location to be discovered!
    Thanks for the nice comments!
    I will see if I can find the tag that tells the grower's name and pass that on. Probably located in California, but maybe they will ship to Georgia. I had no idea this was hard to find.

• User
    13 years ago

Butia, I haven't looked recently, but I have seen (and purchased) large ones one eBay--for great prices! Might be seasonal--more available in Spring and early Summer. Also HD's and L's is even beginning to sell hardy palms in the coastal North (Sabals, Needles, Butias)--I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a Trachy in the big chain stores in your area.

• deep___roots
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For what it is worth, Barcelo Enterprises (google "barcelo palms") is (was) the grower for Home Depot palms when I got mine. I found the tag and boy, was it faded. Check out the website if you are curious about availability and possible shipping.