Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cytotek_gw

Help identifying this cycad or palm (seems very old)

cytotek
9 years ago

Hi all

Would be appreciated if someone can ID this cycad please, its seems to be very old, its was planted 70 - 80 years ago, and from browsing pic on the net i have narrowed it down to a cycad species (i think).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have a nice week to all

Comments (11)

• cytotek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is a close up of its flowers.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

It's definitely a cycad, a Macrozamia, probably M. communis. For a trunk that size it's an old plant. They don't have flowers, those are cones, just like pine trees have cones. Yours looks like a male plant (male cones). If you're in the southern part of NSW (coastal) there are probably a lot of female plants around and the pollinators are pretty efficient at getting around between them.

• cytotek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you tropicbreezent for the advice much appreciated, i wish there was anyway i could thank you.

Problem is, my father is renovating his house, and he wanted to pull it out, but i thought what a waste, its such a beautiful plant. Are there people that specialize in this type of thing that can save it?

Cause i have confirmed, the previous owner of the house said her father planted it back in 1940's, it would be a waste to kill such a plant.

Thank you for any information, much appreciated.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

It would be more then a shame,it would be near criminal. That is a great specimen..I've never seen one with that stout a trunk.
    If it has to be removed...PLENTY of landscapers would take it,Cycad society members would drool for it,and their might be money to made if you wanted to sell it.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Cycads are protected by law in Australia so trafficking in them is very controlled. Where you see large cycads sold they're plants that have been removed from development sites. You can apply for a permit for that. That in itself isn't a big issue on a residential property, but there are experts around who do move those large cycads. And there is a market for them, a lot of people prefer to not wait the 50 to 100 years for a large plant and are prepared to pay. You sometimes get ads from people selling them, the buyer has to do the removal and carry the risk. You could ask around the nurseries though not ones like Bunnings, etc. You could also check with PACSOA (Palm and Cycad Society of Australia) but they're based mainly in Brisbane. Should be able to give some advice though.

• cytotek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the reply.

I have seen cycads on ebay and gumtree for sale, but they are small ones, i have seen the odd big palm being sold with the buyer needing to remove.

If i were to put a ad up, how much would be a reasonable price for such a plant.

Dad has agreed not to remove it, know that he knows it could be sold, he would rather sell LOL. But again, why would you let such a beautiful tree go to waste, it would really be a shame.

I hope there is someone that would take this beautiful plant under their wing, but i need some on advice on a reasonable price.

Thank you all for the kind words, and advice, much appreciated, i hope you all have a nice week/weekend.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

I myself have no idea on values. You might need to shop around the nurseries to see what they're being sold for.

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

Around here, that macrozamia would be worth up to a couple of thousand dollars! I'd have to look in my book, but that might also be a M. moorei. Communis stems aren't normally that fat.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

M. moorei is a very much taller growing cycad than M. communis but the caudex/trunk on the moorei tends to be a bit more slender and not shaped that way, which is more like the caudex of a larger communis.

• cytotek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the advice and help, much appreciated, Hopefully it can go to a new home, and be appreciated for what it is.

Regards, Sam.

• shenue
    9 years ago

What in incredibly beautiful and stately plant. I also hope it can/will be saved.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler