Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windmill palm care

Posted by tropicnyc7 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 19:16

I just bought a 3gal windmill palm from ebay and I was wondering how to take care of it regarding winter protection for it in zone 7 nyc and when to put it outside for good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windmill palm care

I also recieved a 3 gallon windmill palm off of ebay about a year and a half ago in March of 2009 and planted it in the ground in early march soon after I recieved it. It saw one or 2 nights below freezing and of course had no problems! It didnt grow too much until this past summer. I protected it with some Christmas lights followed by a frost cloth and a plastic garbage bin over it to retain some more heat and keep it dry. It kept the palm about 20 degrees warmer than the actual temeprature outside which was more than enough to keep it happy. Its easy to apply and works well. Its also not that hard to find the supplies. The only downside to this method of protection is that your palm will eventualy out grow it, but not for at least 4 years or more from a 3 gallon.
Good luck!
-Alex

o
RE: Windmill palm care

I grew mine as containerized plants until they got larger than my largest tub/containers then planted it in the ground. I protected the trunks with frost cloth and X-mas lights for the first couple of years. Last Winter they were not protected at all but they are in a good microclimate (southern exposure not far from the house). They're about 4-5 feet. Larger palms gain in cold hardiness as they get big. Protect from hard frost but try to keep COOL as a containerized plant over Winter then plant in early April. These palms are VERY cold hardy but appreciate well draining soil, and some wind protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here