Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First snow pics of the year...Sorry!

Posted by bradleyo 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 19:18

Not something I want to brag about. Earliest snow I ever remember. 2nd time in 4 winters here that I've had snow before frost.

It wasn't a horrible event. It was 37F while it was snowing very hard.

This morning around 7am.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's not much damage but here's how it looks now. The leaves haven't even really started to change yet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First snow pics of the year...Sorry!

At least the plants didnt have any freeze damage! I cant believe it snowed though. Way too early to see that!
-Alex

o

OMG...where is this? what city and state do you live in. Staten Island got down to a chilly 50 this morning and hit a high of 67 by 4 pm

o

That is the weirdest, craziest thing. I've never seen snow on a banana before. I've been growing bananas for at least 8 years, and frost has always hit my bananas before snow ever did.

o

Doesn't look like it bothered them to much....
hopefully it will be a long time before you see snow again!

o

Fall is here! It was mild enough (37) and not followed by bitter cold so that you can squeeze more tropical time with them. That's some garden! I like what you did there, it shows real talent. What do the neighbors say?

o

Cali - Dubois, Pa in north central Pa.

Island - this is the 2nd time in 3 years my banana has seen snow on it with green leaves.

Brooklyn - I get a lot of comments, slow downs, drive bys and double takes. I also end of giving a lot of tours and a lot of plants and cuttings away which would otherwise be wasted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here