Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrianbesh1234

Palm winter protection

Adrianbesh1234
11 years ago

Hi guys, I live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada which is zone 5 and i have bought a pindo palm and was wondering how you guys protect your palms. I know arctictropical uses Styrofoam but I was wondering what I should do for my light source if I was to cover the palm like that.

I have bought a heater, humidifier and a remote temperature reader.

Thanks in advance for all the help. :)

Comments (15)

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

You don't need to supply light if you keep temps cool in the enclosure-
    somewhere in the area of 35-45F would be perfect.

You can buy a thermocube that turns on the heat at 35F
    and off at 45F...just make sure you put it in the enclosure(-;

• Adrianbesh1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi jimhardy thanks for your reply! I was thinking of building a wood structure and then placing Styrofoam inside of the box.

The issue with that is that there will be no natural or artificial light at all for the palm for about 3 months and I was wondering if that will kill the palm or not? Like ill provide the heat and humidity but was wondering if I need to water the palm at all or somehow install a lighting system.

I am not able to open the container during these 3 months because the temperature is so cold and there will be so much snow that it would just kill the palm.

So yeah, it would be in complete darkness for 3 months and I'm wondering if that is okay or not.

Thanks a ton!

• Adrianbesh1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Jimhardy and anyone else who knows about how to winterize a palm, I have been thinking of buying a greenhouse and just placing that over the palm for the cooler months and placing a heater inside of the greenhouse in case it gets really good. Would you think it is a good idea to buy something like http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/springhouse/
    OR
    http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/springhouse-clear-xl/greenhouses

Thanks!

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Can't tell which G-house your talking abut....
    if you do use a greenhouse you will need much more heat.

I have used leaf cages on Needle palms with no heat and no light-(went to -18F that year)all winter,they were fine.
    The key is just keeping it cool enough to keep them from growing.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I think that a large greenhouse like those would be a bad idea for a small palm, because that is a lot of air that you have to heat up! I cover my palms with a plastic garbage bin and put christmas lights and a frost cloth inside and they do fine. That keeps the temperature about 15 to 20 degrees warmer than the outside temperature which is more than enough to keep pindo palms happy in my climate during the winter, but you would probably have to add more insulation in your zone 5 with a protection method like that.
    I uncover my palms as often as possible, but sometimes they can go up to and over 2 weeks inside those garbage bins (like when there is a lot of snow and I cant uncover them) with no light and they do fine.
    -Alex

• Adrianbesh1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey guys,

Thanks for your reply, jimhardy I was talking about the greenhouses which I copied the url for in the message. If you just copy and paste that you should get a picture of description of the item.

Hey arctictropical, your idea of removing the covering of the palm would not work up here because we get snow from Jan to the middle of match and I mean the show is about 4-5 feet tall, in just accumulation and it doesn't ever melt so that's why I was thinking of using a greenhouse since it allows the palm yo receive light and it won't be completely covered by snow.

I'm not sure if it's the best way however, but given my circumstances would you think that the greenhouse is a good idea or would you still thinking that just covering it up for 3 months with no sun would work?

Thanks for your expertise guys, it is much appreciated!

• Adrianbesh1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

does anyone know from experience if palms need extra water while in a greenhouse over a winter that is always below freezing, meaning that there is about 3-5 feet of snow on the ground during Jan through March.

Thanks

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I know you already have this palm but why not try somthing that is a bit more cold hardy where you are so you don't have as many problems? a fortunii or a needle palm would do so much better there. also I'm not sure all the snow is really a problem. snow is a wonderful insulator its the cold air burning the leaves and then the corm rotting away from to much moisture that I would be worried about

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I agree with Mike. Keep the pindo potted up. Outside in the summer; inside in the winter. They reportedly do well as potted palms. They are notoriously finicky outside in cold climates even with protection. Try needle palms, sabal minor and hardiest variety of windmills first.

• User
    11 years ago

They do fabulously well in containers! They grow really big, really fast. I don't understand their slow reputation at all! In the ground they can be temperamental if it is too wet in the winter. Snow may be an excellent insulator but these palms really resent wet buds. I lost an unprotected one in a very snowy winter in zone 7. If my winter weather were drier, it would be much easier. Instead, in the ground, I focus on Trachy fortunei and wagnerianus, Sabal minors, Needles, and Meds. in raised beds. Eventually will try again in te ground as my largest containers are now getting too small for a few specimens.

• Adrianbesh1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for your reply. I just wanted to tell you that i bought a 6 foot by 6 foot greenhouse, and it is going to house the palm tree directly in the middle. So i was wondering if it is still an issue seeing that there will be 3feet in any direction before snow and the other exterior moisture etc.

Thanks

• Adrianbesh1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, i am going to be placing a heater and a temp reader inside the greenhouse to monitor the temps to make sure it doesnt get too hot or too cold. What do you guys say, will it survive?

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

It will work easy-why not be extravagant with one palm....?

I was the first winter,whatever it took...probably cruised through winter better than any.

If you get that much snow keep an eye on the G-house structure
    and make sure it is well secured-adjusting your enclosure
    in 45mph winds with temps -18F......?

Don't go there-been there,done that.

• Adrianbesh1234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds good Jimhardy. Do you mind emailing me so i can get your email in case i may need your help during the winter months?

My email is: besh1234567@gmail.com

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Sure....

I am also available for parties(-;

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting