Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Some Pics of Palms that ii couldnt pass up!!

Hello Everyone,

I had mentioned before on another post about a couple of Plams that i had to pick up!! LOL I couldnt resist them and the price...

Christmas palm

Pygmy Date Palm

{{gwi:1172577}}

Agave planted this summer from its contsainer. Looking healthy. Ill keep my fingers crossed that it continues to do so...

Palms in backyard

a few pics of my Plumies... Had to share!! : )

Lani

{{gwi:7812}}

Black Tiger

{{gwi:6297}}

Rock Waterfall still under construction, but starting to come together...

{{gwi:105558}}

some of my Desert Roses

{{gwi:105547}}

{{gwi:110298}}

{{gwi:110297}}

{{gwi:342525}}

{{gwi:3228}}

{{gwi:105545}}

Finally, a cut little visitor onn my Plumie!!!

{{gwi:10911}}

J-105

Take Care Everyone!!

Laura in VB

Comments (19)

• chachacharlie
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm officially jealous! where did you get such beautiful Christmas palms??? How much did they cost? How are you going to overwinter them? I'd kill for some like the ones you got, but I'm not even sure they could survive here in coastal L.A. Everything looks great!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Great pics! Love the Christmas palm and those plumies look great! Are the plumerias still blooming by you? Mine are finished, I think its the clouds that are causing problems more than the cooler weather.
    Thanks for sharing. Things are looking great!

-Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Those the ones from the garden center in Salisbury. I've not made it there. I'm passing through your area Sunday on my way back from Williamsburg back across the Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Gonna do a preliminary search for places to collect seeds later in the fall. Great pics!

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

I love those Christmas palms! I wish I could find some. Thay are one of my favorite palms. I really like the plumerias too! My green one is starting dormancy. Its 2 biggest leaves have already fallen off.
    Again, I love your plants!
    -Hunter

• trishmick
    12 years ago

There is a nursery not even a mile from my house that always has Christmas palms, usually very large specimans too. But I'll have to win the lottery in order to buy one. They have an amazing greenhouse with all kinds of tropicals. Unfortunately, verrrry expensive. Often visit, rarely buy. My best bet is to buy at the HD in Cape Coral, FL when visiting the mom-in-law, then having her drive it up when she comes to stay in the Summer.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi PanamaJack,

You are so lucky to live in a zone 10b!! Im jealous!!! LOL!!!
    I love these Palms too! That is why i had to pick this tree up and mark it sold when i saw it at the local box store a month ago. When i asked the lady at the store when they received them, she said today. They had two of them and i was literally shaking from excitement. We never see them here for sale in VB. So, i told her that i wanted the one and to put a sold tag on it and then picked it up later after i went home to get my DH truck. The Price was 75.00 which is very good for my area. I did pay more for another one years ago ( even double that price) and had to give it away because it ws to tall for my house for winter storage. I did find the old CP down in Florida during a visit to Naples. They do have some great prices down there. That is why i had to rent a van and drive home with my mother in tow a few years back. Bottle palm, Christmas Palm and a few others for my other family menbers. The prices down there were running around 40.00

I bring in my Palms in containers and they do just fine. Some are ready to head outside once spring arrives, but they all seem to tolerate being inside for the winter here in Virginia. I would think that you would not have any problems being in Coastal LA if you wanted to have one in a container. Especially living in a zone 10b!! Lucky!!!

Thank you for the kind comments!!!

The other Pygmy Date Palm came from a Produce stand on the Eastern Shore. They wanted 40.00 for it so i said that i would take it. They usually run way over that price, but he was trying to get some of his inventory sold before the end of the season. Imagine that tree in my front seat of my car...LOL I did it!! We wrapped it in Burlap and then layed down the front seat to have the extra roon.

I wont even tell you what my Hubby said when i asked for help to get it out of the car..LMAO!!! Something like..What the >>>> are you going to do with that? As we Palm lovers say, "Oh, I find a place...LOL!!!"

Hi Alex,

I do still have blooms here in VB. MY Thai Super Round , Celadine, Guillots Sunset and the J-105 are still blooming. I do have several inflos that look like they could still produce. The one that im really hopeing for is my Penang Peach. It is looking great, so ill keep my fingers crossed for that beauty!!!

Out temps at night have been cooling down, leaf drop is more apparent now. So im keeping an eye on the night time temps. I probably have a few more weeks before i trim and bring them in for the winter.

What a sad time that will be..

Most will go in the back room for the winter to rest. Some of the new rooted trees will stay under lights and some will stay in the greenhouse.

Hope all is well with you up in NY!!! Always love to see your pics of your yard. You do such a great job with all of your plants and trees!!! : )

Hunter,

Thank You !!!

I have always liked the Christmas Palms as well! Hard to find, so that is why i had to jump on this one when i found it. Especially with the price. They are so cheap down south, but hard to find even here in Virginia!!!

The Plumies will start to drop their leaves, so that is normal. Just remember to give them just a little water when they are dormant. I would even put them in a corner of the room and let them be for the winter. But, dont forget...just a little water every 2-3 weeks during the dormancy phase. The size pots that you have them in, I would only give them maybe 1/4 cup of water at each watering during the winter. Remember less is more with Plumeria!!! Good Luck, I know they will do great for you!!!

Thanks Hunter!!!

Wetsuiter,

Hi there!!! Yes, the Pigmy Date was from that stand. I dont think that they have much left, but it still would be fun to drive in there and check on the way home.

If you want to stop by my house when you are traveling tomorrow, send me an email and i will give you directions. If you are scouting out Seeds, we have some at my DH Business from the Palms that i planted there. The trees are pretty high, but once the seeds are ready, they are yours!!! You can even check them out tomorrow if you like.

We are not far from the CBBT, about 10 minutes away. I have some Oleanders for you too! Let me know...

Trishmick,

I know what you mean about some of the prices...they are crazy for what they are asking!!! That is why i was shaking in my shoes (flips..) when i saw them here at the local box store!!!

When my mom and I flew down to Naples, we went into the HD down there..I was in heaven!!! That is why we had to rent a van and drive home..LOL!! I couldnt resist the prices on some of these beautiful Plams. We felt like Thelma and Louise with all of the trees in the van. Luckily, she is a plant lover too! So, with her incouragement, we said forget about flying, we will drive with the "load" in the back!!! What fun memories!!! LOL... (She feeds my addictions...LOL)

LUcky that you have someone that will bring them up for you!!! That is the best bet by far!!!

Take care everyone!!!

thanks for the kind compliments!!!

Laura in VB

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

I bet your Agave starts growing more stout leaves if it is in full sun.

Love the Adenium,I used to have a big Caudex collection!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Laura! Im glad to hear you are still getting beautiful blooms! I have gotten some leaf drop on my Divine and one of my NO ID's, but I have another NO ID with no leaf drop at all and my "Pretty Princess" also has had no leaf drop yet (except for one yellow leaf about 2 weeks ago). I think its better for them to go into dormancy while outdoors, but my plumerias seem to be a little stubborn!
    Im getting tons of surprising blooms now Im noticing even more bloom heads on my butterfly ginger I got from Hawaii last summer. I just hope the cooler days coming up wont affect the bloom quality. Its a bad time of the year for blooms and in a few weeks, things will be starting to be dug up to go inside. Not looking forward to it!
    -Alex

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey Laura,
    I like the Christmas palms and your friend in the pic.He reminds me of the Boxer I had,he's gone but not forgotten.

I dont know a lot about tropical palms,because I cant grow them here in the ground.I only research and grow palms that will live here.Dont get me wrong,there great looking palms.I wish I could grow a more deverse variety of palms here.

I worked in Puerto Rico for 3yrs,60hrs a week doing construction work on the Hyatt Resort.We had every Sunday off and we would travil around the island.We went to the Capital building there and I think that's the kind of palms that line the walkway going up to it,the Christmas palms.

If I could have found a job there that paid the same that I was making through the construction company I would have stayed.It was a beautiful place with perfect weather year round.I miss picking fresh oranges and bananas to eat.

Mabey one day I get back there,one can dream :)

Keep collecting plants,Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Great to see your paradise in person today. You and your DH are veryucky to live there. Thank you so much!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thanks Jim!!! Im hoping that the Agave continues to do well. It does get full sun there, so hopefully it will grow larger and more full. Since i planted it there, it doesnt seem to have done anything as far as growth. Im hoping that its just getting used to its new location and will start to adjust and grow soon in its new location.

It has to like it better there thsn in the pot. It was so root bound... I root pruned it before i planted it, so ill keep my fingers crossed!!!!

The DR's are quite fun to watch as they develope the Caudex. They all have such a different personality!!!

I especially like the one pic that has the close up of the Caudex with the frog hanging on the backside of the pot!!!

Thanks for the link...ill have to go and check it out!!!

Alex,

I do agree with you on wishing the trees would go into dormancy on their own, but i do have to help some of my larger trees. If i dont, then ill have leaves galore dropping all over the house and i cant store them very well. Plus they bring in little pest, so when i start the trimming process, i can spray and keep the little ones at bay...

I wish that we had more warm weather, i have some inflos just starting to appear and im sick knowing that ill loose them. Im glad to here that your Ginger is blooming and you still have somethings in bloom! That makes you happy, im sure!!!

Take care Alex!!!

Randy,

I remember some of the pics that you have posted or sent to me from Puerto Rico!! They were beautiful!! I love That place and would love to go back and visit. One special beach down there is called Luquillo Beach, it was an old Coconut Palm Plantation and the locals still have the beach and the park. Quite a site to see how the huge Palms are so large and mature and grow right down to the waters edge. That is a gorgeous beach!!!

I do love all Palms, including the tropicsls. I cant pass one up if its a good buy!!! LOL!!!

You have your own paradise in GA!! YOu have done a great job with your yard and it looks beautiful!! Keep up the good work!!!

Wetsuiter,

IT was so much fun to meet you both!! Thank you for stopping by and saying hi to me and DH!! Loved you visiting the yard and im happy to see that you enjoyed the rest of your trip down at the oceanfront!!!

You know you are always welcome to stop by anytime!!!

Is was a pleasure!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• wsg89
    12 years ago

Hi Laura! Great pics. Its so cool you put your big guy in the ground. I have a desert rose very similar to yours, lots of leaves. Any idea when we can expect them to flower? I have updated my page there is a pic of a mutual friend of ours who is doing quite well. Its always great to see your yard thanks for posting

Here is a link that might be useful: okcpalms

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Hey Laura,

Looking good, as usual!! Say hi, anytime :)

Brian

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Wsg89,

Thanks for the beautiful pics!! Absoulutely gorgeous!!
    Every pic is more beautiful than the next!!! Quite the yard!!! I like all of you plants/trees as well as the walkway around you yard. Looks like a resort area walkway!!! : )

Love the pic of our mutual friend!!! Looks good!!!

A far as the DR's blooming, mine have bloomed on and off all year. I did trim them back hard this summer, since they were getting so lanky and i needed to keep them trimmed tight. They had blooms then and i didnt want to trim then, but i had too! I fertilize all summer long with Foliage Pro every time i water. They seem to love the mix they are in as well as the fertilizer. They have buds right now, but im not sure if they will produce blooms because of the cooler nights that we are having. We shall see. If they do bloom, i will post for you!!!

Thanks for the tour of your beautiful yard!!!

Hi Brian!!!

You have mail!!!

Hope all is well in LYH!!!

I think of you at this time of the year. Mom and i always enjoy traveling up to Bedford to visit the Avenel Home. Have you ever visited this house?

How are your palms?

I haven't seen any pics lately?

Take Care,

Laura in VB

• protempsfish
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics- thanks for sharing.

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Hi Laura, I think you have a different email than I did before...

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Brian,

Did you receive the last email? I used the address above...

let me know..send me a email just in case...I hope u received it cuz i wrote a book!!! LOL!!!

See YA!!!

Laura in VB

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Hey Laura,

I don't use that email anymore...

You can forward what you sent to this email...
    btkeesee@liberty.edu