Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orlando Coconut Palm: 30 months of growth

Posted by royalpaulm Cen Fla 10a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 20:19

Here is my green Malayan dwarf coconut palm. It was planted March 2008 in my yard in Windermere,, Fla (near Orlando).

When planted:Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Summer 2009 - even fruited! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here it is today. The past winter was a bad one, so not much fruit this year. Also grew considerably slower than the prior summer. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orlando Coconut Palm: 30 months of growth

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 21:11

Very nice! I've been having some trouble getting mine to grow. They haven't moved over the last two months. Will probably have to replace them.

o

Beautiful! Im glad that it survived the winter. That was a pretty historic winter for Florida and you wont have to worry about another winter like that for 20 years or more hopefully! I remember seeing what I think was coconut palm by a resort in Orlando a few years ago. I wonder if its still alive after last winter? Anyways, I think Orlando is a great place to be trying coconut palms and it will be really happy there most winters! I think you will get a good amount of coconuts from it really soon!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Thanks guys. Last summer I had planned on adding a couple more to my yard but last years freak winter scrubbed those plans. I only have the time to protect 1 cold sensitive palm during a deep cold blast - so this will
be my 1 palm to baby. The rest of the yard is filled with palms that can easily weather the worst winter central Florida has to offer

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 23:08

You're welcome! What all did you do to protect the tree last year? I'm curious because my highs and lows were within 1 degree of your location last year.

o

Last year I used Xmas lights and them wrapped with blankets and cloth covers - a pic is below. This year I'm planning on building a cheap PVC pipe cover to slip on it if temps fall below 30. I would then cover with plastic and heat with a small Space heater.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here