Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
saved!

Posted by LagoMar usda 8b/ahs7 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 20:58

In a little corner at walmart were 3 shopping carts filled with pots of plants apparently headed for the dumpster. No prices listed, just a pile of plants. Among the annuals and other obviously unwanted plants was a blue European fan palm in fine shape. I pulled it out of the pile and took it to checkout. They charged me half price so i got this plant for $11.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: saved!

Great buy! Looks very healthy, definitely a nice save. Glad that you got it before they got rid of it!
-Alex

o

Awesome, I may go check out some stores this week and see what they may be dumping

o

Mediterraneans are my favorite palms. Wish the blue ones were more readily available as they are reportedly 5 degrees hardier than the standard green ones. Would be helpful in a colder winter. I didn't see any cold hardy palms at our local Walmart this year. Last year I found a few needle palms. Great find!

o

Wetsuiter you'd be jealous. This year at our hd they has 5 gal blue meds for $45. i have heard that blues are more hardy but less tolerant of heat and wet. I planted it under some pine trees so it should be fairly dry and less hot.

o

It's "permanent" location (lower left) under pines and next to some encore azaleas. I also have a little orange tree growing there from some citrange oranges my son planted last year. In the background is a sabal minor. It was the size of the blue med 2 years ago.

o

Back at walmart today and all of the plants are gone. Looks like they are getting ready for Christmas. No joke.

o

Lowes here was getting ready for Christmas last week. I guess were a tiny bit closer to the North Pole.

o

I'm guessing you live in the south?! I see Pine Needle mulch! How do Pindos do in your area?

o

Yes i live in Virginia Beach. Pindos grow great here! Many of the mature ones are in seed right now. Jelly time. I have two of them myself. One is about 6 ft now and the other 4 ft. The smaller one has actually gotten seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here