Sea grapes in the back (planted this March):

Green Malay Dwarf coconut palm:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before and After + A few others of interest

Nice.

o

Nice looking sago. The cacti really grew like crazy. Nice job with the new landscaping.

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 18:38

Thank you both.

That cactus seems like it grows a foot every time I look at it. It has a tendency to grow back toward the walkway, so I have to trim it up quite a bit.

o

Nice looking yard! I really like the cacti and pygmy palm a lot. The Sea Grape looks really cool too.
Thanks for sharing.
-Alex

o

Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 20:17

Thanks Alex!

I get to see a lot of pictures from all of you in less than ideal climates, and I'm always impressed with the things that all of you grow.

The pygmies were the $5 almost dead specials at Lowe's. They've impressed me with their growth rate. In April 2010, they had less than a foot of trunk.

The cactus was only about 4 feet tall at the tip of the tallest section when I got the house, but now it's a little over 8 feet.

The date palms lining the driveway were all store bought medjool date pits. The sea grapes were just planted in March of this year, and stood only 2 feet high. The one in the picture is now 10 feet.

Here are a few more of the plants in my collection:
Avocado Tree:

Lady Palm:

Needle Palm:

Philodendron:

o

When I went to clear water I was just in love with the sea grapes hedges...if someone could make a dwarf type I could bring in our a huge hardy type I could leave out Id fence the whole yard off with them..very nice pants..I envy the climate

o

Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 16:30

My first experience with sea grapes was at Vero Beach, FL. They also have the distinction of being a native plant to our eastern coast.

The central Florida climate is a nice one if you don't mind intervening once in a while. We're at roughly the same latitude as Clearwater (28 degrees N).

Probably the best climate in central Florida is St. Petersburg Beach. Their lows are typically 5 degrees higher, and their highs are typically 5 degrees lower. A lot more comfortable for people and plants alike.

Speaking of using sea grapes as hedges, I think my neighbor on one side will be getting exactly that! :)

o

Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:22

Just a quick update: This is what the area near the AC Unit with the Lady Palms and Needle Palms looks like now. Thoughts?

o

They look really happy to me! Glad to see them doing well.
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Hi
hate to be a downer but you planted everything WAY to close to structures Come back in a couple of years
If you think they're growing fast now wait until they're established lol I've made the same mistakes many time .
Sharpen up those pruning shears you're going to need them lol good luck gary

o

Thu, May 15, 14 at 18:21

Alex,
You're welcome! Thank You!

Gary,
The ones next to the AC unit were already there, and have been there for at least 5 years. I can't claim credit/blame for where they are, other than I chose not to move them. The guys who installed it had to prune some of the lady palms out to install the unit.

The small clump is just a collection of volunteers that were springing up around the corner from the bed in the picture.

As for the needle palm, I'll probably be in a nursing home by the time it gets big enough to create issues... i think....

Words heeded and shears sharpened ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here