Sea grapes in the back (planted this March):

Green Malay Dwarf coconut palm:

Comments (18)

• the_virginian
    10 years ago

Nice.

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago

Nice looking sago. The cacti really grew like crazy. Nice job with the new landscaping.

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both.

That cactus seems like it grows a foot every time I look at it. It has a tendency to grow back toward the walkway, so I have to trim it up quite a bit.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Nice looking yard! I really like the cacti and pygmy palm a lot. The Sea Grape looks really cool too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    -Alex

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Alex!

I get to see a lot of pictures from all of you in less than ideal climates, and I'm always impressed with the things that all of you grow.

The pygmies were the $5 almost dead specials at Lowe's. They've impressed me with their growth rate. In April 2010, they had less than a foot of trunk.

The cactus was only about 4 feet tall at the tip of the tallest section when I got the house, but now it's a little over 8 feet.

The date palms lining the driveway were all store bought medjool date pits. The sea grapes were just planted in March of this year, and stood only 2 feet high. The one in the picture is now 10 feet.

Here are a few more of the plants in my collection:
    Avocado Tree:

Lady Palm:

Needle Palm:

Philodendron:

• miketropic
    10 years ago

When I went to clear water I was just in love with the sea grapes hedges...if someone could make a dwarf type I could bring in our a huge hardy type I could leave out Id fence the whole yard off with them..very nice pants..I envy the climate

Original Author
    10 years ago

My first experience with sea grapes was at Vero Beach, FL. They also have the distinction of being a native plant to our eastern coast.

The central Florida climate is a nice one if you don't mind intervening once in a while. We're at roughly the same latitude as Clearwater (28 degrees N).

Probably the best climate in central Florida is St. Petersburg Beach. Their lows are typically 5 degrees higher, and their highs are typically 5 degrees lower. A lot more comfortable for people and plants alike.

Speaking of using sea grapes as hedges, I think my neighbor on one side will be getting exactly that! :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a quick update: This is what the area near the AC Unit with the Lady Palms and Needle Palms looks like now. Thoughts?

• tropicalzone7
    9 years ago

They look really happy to me! Glad to see them doing well.
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    hate to be a downer but you planted everything WAY to close to structures Come back in a couple of years
    If you think they're growing fast now wait until they're established lol I've made the same mistakes many time .
    Sharpen up those pruning shears you're going to need them lol good luck gary

Original Author
    9 years ago

Alex,
    You're welcome! Thank You!

Gary,
    The ones next to the AC unit were already there, and have been there for at least 5 years. I can't claim credit/blame for where they are, other than I chose not to move them. The guys who installed it had to prune some of the lady palms out to install the unit.

The small clump is just a collection of volunteers that were springing up around the corner from the bed in the picture.

As for the needle palm, I'll probably be in a nursing home by the time it gets big enough to create issues... i think....

Words heeded and shears sharpened ;)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello all,
    Just an update after another summer of growth:
    Phoenix Theophrasti babies

Coconut Palm

Papaya if you look close you can see blooms

Some Bananas and Sea Grapes

Live Oak had birds nesting in it this year

Landscaping in Front

Tallest Date Palm (~5ft)

Hope everyone is having a lovely fall!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Walked to the back yard today and found this laying under my tallest avocado tree. Wonder what it will taste like?

• islandbreeze
    9 years ago

The coconut and dates look awesome! Must be effortless for you to have trees like those succeed for you.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Islandbreeze,
    Thank you! The soil in my particular area is pretty rich considering typical Central Florida soils. The dates are pretty effortless, other than making sure they get supplemental magnesium once a year. The coconut takes a little more care during the winter. I usually have to cover it 6-12 times to protect it from cold.

• tropicalzone7
    9 years ago

Awesome pics! Looks like you are definitely taking advantage of your mild climate. The sea grapes are huge and the coconut palm looks great too. I'm sure it's happy to be near your house on those chillier nights. Congrats on getting an avocado fruit? Did you end up tasting it?
    Hopefully your papaya makes some fruit too. I hear that male tress will not fruit unfortunately so hopefully you have a female one or one that has both male and female flowers on it. They are beautiful plants even when they don't fruit though!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

Original Author
    9 years ago

tropicalzone7,
    I certainly try to enjoy the benefits of zone 9a every chance I get; especially after coming from a zone 5a!

The sea grapes have been prolific! I never in my wildest imagination figured they would or could grow that fast!

The coconut looks like a cocooned caterpillar right now, just for safe measure. The low ended up around 40 degrees here at the house last night, and another night in the low 40s expected tonight. As a general rule, if they call for temps below 45 for any length of time, it gets wrapped.

Regarding the papayas, there are tons of them in neighbors' yards. Most of them are fruiting, so I know that we can get fruit in the area.

The avocado wasn't too bad with a turkey burger ;).

Original Author
    8 years ago

Just a few updates:

My now 7 ft. Medjool Date Palm

My 1 year old Ice Cream Banana

Giant Timber Bamboo, 1 year old

Malay Dwarf Coconut, Still waiting on fruit...

I managed to snag a Bismarck Palm, and a "Jamaican Tall" Coconut. Will get some photos when I get a chance.