Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec7a

Dead palm and new palm

chadec7a
12 years ago

Since my last post I have been potting several plants for the winter. One trachy that had been sick when I went to dig it I didn't even need a shovel. I was able to lift the palm by hand. Pretty sure its dead, but you can't always tell so I potted it anyway. Lowes finally put their palms on discount so today I picked up a replacement for next spring.

Heres the root system of the trachy. this is the of the larger one that died back in may.

{{gwi:494188}}

Heres the trachy that I potted. the root system was the same.

Heres the replacement palm. A European Fan Palm.

Few pics I forgot to post last time.

I'm ready for Halloween.

We have already had a few light frost. And it will not be long before the first hard frost. Good luck everyone protecting their palms.

Comments (16)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Nice european fan palm! It looks like the newest leaves were a bit shade grown, but it has a really nice trunk on it! Any damage from the frosts yet? We havent had a frost here yet, but the forecast is getting colder so a frost will be here in a matter of weeks. I like the palm tree on the jack-o-lantern, nothing better than a bit of the tropics during the fall!
    -Alex

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Had damage on my Saim Ruby and Tea cup EE's so they had to go inside. All of the caladiums have died to the ground. We have had some cold winds come of the mountains.

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

Wow you really are replacing up with that Euro fan palm! Beautiful. I wouldn't even miss that windmill if I replaced it with a palm like that. Too bad our stores around here don't sell hardy palms. I'd love to get something like that for a good price. Very nice butia too.

• jaynboro
    12 years ago

Nice trunk on the Euro. Like the height on that one. Yard looks great as usual. Cool palm o'lantern! Ha ha. Favorite one I've seen all season.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Definitely a nice Chammy!

Be careful with that Trachy you dug up,the
    root system needs to thoroughly dry out between waterings
    when there is a lot of dead root mass like that so as not
    to encourage the rot to spread any further.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys, I can't wait till spring to plant this palm. For 50 bucks I'll be glad to keep this inside for this winter.

Jim- I will definitely keep that trachy extra dry. And hope it does something!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Some root stimulator like Superthrive would help also.

u

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I coated the roots with rootone. And will continue to mix liquid root simulator in for sure.

What I'm not sure of is the type of soil the chammy prefers. I know it needs to be drier than trachy's. But does it perfer sand, compost, gravel or what?

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I think equal parts of all three would work great.

They don't seem to finicky IME so I wouldn't worry about it.

• trishmick
    12 years ago

I just might have to steal your pumpkin idea. A classic...

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Hi Chad7a,

You garden has a good blend of palms. Your butia is doing well. Did you cover it last winter? It looks like my butia yatays.

Incredible european fan palm, how much was it. I heard their real finicky in wet winters and should be covered in 7a-b. They do not like too much moisture - it causes root rot.

Great garden.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are definitely zone 8 palms and will get protection all of its life. Thanks for the advice, can't wait to plant it next April.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trishmick- Thanks, that was a pretty easy stencile that I found on-line.

Brooklyngreg- This will be the first winter for my small pindo in the ground. I will build a container over it and keep it protected. If it pulls through then next year I will plant my larger pindo.
    I paid 50$ for the euro fan palm.

• JoelVal5655
    12 years ago

Hi Chad, I see you took that beauty home! Thank you for your help on making our decision with our newest members of the palm family.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

50$ for the euro fan palm is a excellent deal! That one looks like its worth $300-$400. I built a container over mine and it worked well but it wanted some extra lights for heat. It developed a slight case spear rot in the Spring, but then recovered after surgery and treatment.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joelval it was great meeting you two. Hope you have lots of luck with your sabal minors. This first year I would try to keep them dry when temps are below freezing. Since your planting late in the season.

Brooklyngreg I have a nice pc. of plexiglass I will use as a window on the enclosure along with Christmas lights. But that's next year, this baby is going in my spare bedroom in front of a window till April. If it starts drooping I have grow lights I can add to it.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County