Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver Saw Palmetto

Posted by slice4444 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 21:57

I bought what I think is a small silver saw palmetto plant in South Carolina this year, and brought it up to NYS. I had it outside during the summer up here and now it's indoors. It seems to be growing a lot of grass-like material. Is this normal? Or is this some other invasive thing that is growing? The grassy stuff is growing so bushy I'm afraid it's strangling the plant. The grass-like sprouts are single strands that split into 3 at the top with a fuzzy thing in the middle. I'm just not sure if this is part of the plant or an invader. If it's not part of the plant, I've never seen anything like it up here in NY but it may have been imported with the plant from SC. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver Saw Palmetto

Looks like a Cyperus or closely related species of plant, commonly called sedges. So basically a weed in the pot. Definitely not part of the palm.

o

Thanks! I took it out back and pulled it all out before Hurricane Sandy comes. The Cyperus may grow back - heard those sedges are pretty resilient but the plant looks way happier...

o

Geeze. I couldn't even tell it was in a pot from the first pic.

o

I agree, certainly made a difference. If you keep picking at the Cyperus it'll eventually give up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here