Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wetsuiter

Three Cypress Swamps in Southern Delaware

wetsuiter
11 years ago

I found myself running an errand out in South Central Sussex County today. Cool sunny fall day with high in the low 60s. I decided to detour on the way home and go to the Cypress Swamp area. Trussum Pond and Trap Pond are considered the northern most natural cypress swamps in the country. Historically, much of southern Sussex County was cypress swamp, but in the 1700s and 1800s the area was heavily logged for ship building and home building. My own 1879 Victorian House has Delaware Cypress and Cedar clapboards.

On the way, I stumbled upon a pretty pond with a Wildlife Refuge sign and an historic church/graveyard on the shore. Driving by I could see cypress trees along the edge. I was surprised at first, but considering I was only a few miles from the State Parks, it made more sense.

First shots are Old Christ Church (1772) and Chapman's Pond near Laurel, Delaware. One of the graves with an historic marker was for the grave of a local patriot who fought in the Revolution, served in the Continental Congress and served as a Delaware Governor.

{{gwi:1173553}}

{{gwi:1173554}}

{{gwi:1173555}}

Trussum Pond is the smaller of the two Cypress Swamp State Parks. It has no amenities beyond a boat ramp and small dock and no trails. It is small, but the concentration of cypresses is very dense. The only real way to get a good view is out on the water in a canoe or kayak. I just walk part of the perimeter.

{{gwi:1173556}}

{{gwi:1173557}}

{{gwi:1173558}}

{{gwi:1173559}}

Lots of knees along this waterway.

{{gwi:1173560}}

{{gwi:1173561}}

{{gwi:1173562}}

{{gwi:1173563}}

Trap Pond is the larger of the two lakes. It has a visitor center, nature center, camping, canoe/kayak rentals and trails. It's much more open then neighboring Trussum. Most of the cypress trees are concentrated on the east side of the lake, but I found a lot in the woodland trails, creeks feeding the lake and I was glad to see some newly planted saplings along the western edge of the lake near the nature center.

{{gwi:1173565}}

{{gwi:1173568}}

{{gwi:1173571}}

{{gwi:1173574}}

{{gwi:1173575}}

{{gwi:1173577}}

{{gwi:1173579}}

{{gwi:1173581}}

{{gwi:1173584}}

{{gwi:1173585}}

Note the cypress saplings planted in front of the photo. I was glad to see them adding some away from the main concentration of mature cypress.

{{gwi:1173586}}

{{gwi:1173587}}

{{gwi:1173588}}

{{gwi:1173590}}

{{gwi:1173592}}

{{gwi:1173594}}

{{gwi:1173596}}

{{gwi:1173597}}

{{gwi:1173598}}

{{gwi:1173599}}

{{gwi:1173601}}

A pic OT. I'm a bit of a foodie, so forgive me. Chicken and slippery dumplings and sweet tea at Country Kitchen Restaurant in Millsboro. Local Sussex County comfort food for dinner. Life is good in LSD (Lower, Slower Delaware. Thanks for viewing!

{{gwi:1173604}}

Comments (6)

• LagoMar
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very cool! i live behind a swamp called Scopus Marsh. It's protected by the government due to the cypress trees, meaning I will always have woods behind me. Yay! The only thing you're missing there in De is the Spanish moss. I too had a hankering for some southern comfort today. Picked up some she crab soup at a local restaraunt and ate it in a bread bowl on a rocking chair on my porch. Can't beat it!

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, it would be extra special with Spanish Moss draped on all the trees. There is some debate/discussion as to if Spanish Moss was ever native to Delaware. There were some historical accounts of a moss that colonists used for various domestic issues. I've seen some websites that said Spanish Moss is native to as far north as "Delaware and Maryland". My neighbors found a few small strands of it volunteering in their garden. But I digress...

Local cuisine here has a lot of crab in it, but "She Crab" soup isn't one of the dishes. Female crabs aren't eaten here, they are thrown back to make more crabs for next year. Everyone wants the giant male crabs anyway. Crab soups are usually served "Maryland Crab Soup" stype--similar to Manhattan clam chowder, spicy tomato base with lots of veg and lumps of crab...or "Crab Bisque" a thick cream based soup with a hint of sherry. Both yummy.

Glad you liked the pics.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi V.

Loved all of the pics.. They are not showing for me now.. I guess some glitch with GW?

I loved the old farmhouse too!! Love to visit in places like that and see those old beautifully constructed homes.

Lucky to have come across these little journey..

The pics of the Cypress reminds me of the Dismal Swamp here in Va and in NC. What beautiful pictures you have..
    Makes me want to pull up a chair and just sit and enjoy.

Maybe have a cool one close by just for fun!!

You always have wonderful things to share..

As you know.. i have had a new addition to my family. Since you are a good friend, i want to share my pic with my new Grandson on your post..

Here he is...
    {{gwi:50793}}

Since i know you will love this.. i took a ride in a B-17 a few weeks ago.. thought of you..

{{gwi:52941}}
    {{gwi:110209}}

Thanks for letting me post these..

Love all of your post. YOU know that!!!

When are we going to have lunch again? Tell R i said HI!!

Take care,

Laura

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No problem, Laura. You cab hijack my thread any day!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I had to come back and look at those gorgeous Cypress trunks..

Great pictures... sooooooooooooooo beautiful!!

You made me order Chicken and Dumplings the other day..LOL

;-)

Laura

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad my pics inspired your dinner selection! You're overdue a visit.