Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dochollywood_gw

Palm Identification

Howdy Forum...

I am new to this palm thing. I have two of these palms in the landscape (they were present when we purchased the home 2 and 1/2 years ago). They have grown alot. Is it a date palm? And if it is which one? How fast do they grow? I am wondering if it needs to be transplanted since it is getting quite large. Any special care instructions I should be adhering to?

Comments (25)

• subtropix
    11 years ago

Yes, it's a Date Palm. Not sure of the variety. At first, I thought Phoenix canariensis, but your palms leaves have more silver/blue to them. So, I wonder if it is either True Date P. dactylifera or silvestris. Still, coud be canariensis, and the are MASSIVE palms!! It is in the ground, no? Why transplant?

• DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. This is the other palm, the one that needs to be transplanted. It is growing right under the mesquite tree.

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

It is a funky spot to have a Canary island date palm. You should probably replant the palm from under the mesquite tree to somewhere with more overhead space. CIDP get very tall and grow moderately fast. Very nice looking place you got though.

Original Author
    11 years ago

yah, we did not do the original planting. Only recently did I realize these things are going to grow large. The one being moved is under the canopy of the mesquite tree. I had no idea they were date palms. Edible fruit? I will post another picture of the one that is not being moved for perhaps better species identification. Thanks.

{{!gwi}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

picture

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    You should definitely move the one under the tree. Bet it's ging to be quite a chore as the roots are probably entangled. They also resent transplanting. The other is probably too close to the house but will get by. I'm guessing you live in the dry parts of california?? Then you will get fruits. People always plant palms in the wrong place for some reasonlol Fantastic landscape plan though the usual fault of too close together lol Good luck

gary

Original Author
    11 years ago

In progress

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

WOW
    You moved it already!! Must not have been as entangled as you'd think?? Would have put it further from the house as that sure looks like a canary. Ginormous in every respect . Good luck with it and tell us how it took to transplanting ?? gary

• steve0910
    11 years ago

Looks like Phoenix sylvestris. Nice ones.

Original Author
    11 years ago

OK Forum....
    Phoenix sylvestris or Phoenix canariensis???????
    I am sure one of you experts can be definitive. Maybe? Or give me some pointers to help me determine which they are. Likely only academic, but I would like to definitively identify. Thanks.

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

Im no expert but im positive that its a caneriensis. Ive seen enough of the 2 specie to differentiate. The color of the leaf base as a more yellow green is a give away. Also the girth of that trunk is a bit big for a sylvestris.

• catkim
    11 years ago

I would have guessed P. sylvestris because the fronds are more compact, coarse, and silvery than P. canariensis I am used to seeing. Eric's point about the girth of the trunk well taken. But it could even be a hybrid. Phoenix are notorious natural hybridizers.

• steve0910
    11 years ago

Let's try this:

photo 1) sylvestris
    photo 2) can't see well but habit looks like sylvestris
    photo 3) sylvestris (same plant as photo 1??)
    photo 4) tied up sylvestris, untied (same as 1&3) sylvestris
    photo 5) canariensis

That's my best shot.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone so far.
    Photos 2 and 5 are the same palm, taken before transplanting. Photos 1 and 3 are of the 2nd palm that exactly resembles the one being moved. Both are the same species. The one that is transplanted is slightly smaller because of its decrease of sunshine by being under the mesquite, thus the primary reason for moving to another location. Photo 4 is the same palm as photo 2 and 5, after transplanting. The palm behind it is it's larger twin. I believe there is some color deficiency in the photos. Photo 5 is in my opinion the truest reproduction of color. From what I understand the color of the fronds is a big determining factor. These palms have fronds that are a dark green in real life. They also very much look like a pineapple in appearance, thus P. canariensis has moved to the top of the list. The picture posted with this message is a copied picture that is identified as P. canariensis. Looks pretty similar.

• theseventhlegend
    11 years ago

My best guess is a Canary. The leaves are flat, trunk is thick and greener. Sylvestris tend to have a more "bushier" branch (like a foxtail) but your Canary may also have some hybrid in it.

Original Author
    11 years ago

We were at the house this past weekend and I took a couple of additional pictures to see if it helps anyone make a decision on the species of date palm. As I have noted, I also am leaning towards the Canary Island, but a hybrid is certainly possible. Thanks to everyone for their opinion. The transplanted palm appears to be doing well. Throwing alot of water at it currently. Would hate to loose it, but had no choice but to move it.

Original Author
    11 years ago

close up

Original Author
    11 years ago

another

Original Author
    10 years ago

The transplanted palm did not make it. I knew it would be difficult, but thought it worth a try anyway. Replaced it with a potted date palm purchased from Lowes. Only $109 and seemed well worth it for its size.

Original Author
    10 years ago

New palm.

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago

That's an excellent deal at $109. Which variety is it? Lol might want to hold onto the tag...

As for the two original dates, I would guess they're hybrids between sylvestris and canary island, especially because no one seems sure of one or the other.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tag says, "Canary Island Date Palm".

Original Author
    9 years ago

Update.
    The Canary Island Date Palm has become well established.
    This picture was taken in September 2014. Has been in the ground 1 and 1/2 years now. Good growth.

• shenue
    9 years ago

Beautiful. So glad it has done well for you!

• softmentor
    9 years ago

sorry I'm late to the party. Just saw this post. A quick tip on planting these larger palms. #1 reason for them to fail is air pockets in the soil. You can use a garden hose to "tunnel" down into the fill soil where you filled in around the palm and get the soil really muddy. Once it is good and muddy wet all around, shake the palm so that it settles into the hole and settles the mud in around the roots. You will have to put some shoulder into it with that size palm. You will see air bubbles rising out of the mud as it settles in. Keep adding water as you shake it in. make sure you don't make the last shake with the mud too dry, or you will actually open a pocket next to the root ball.
    If you don't want to do the shake thing, at least poke the hose in and then plunge it in and out until you can see that the mud is settling in. Then shorten your strokes bit by bit and let the water and mud fill in the hole you made with the hose. works almost as well.
    main thing is you want to be sure there is no air pocket under the root ball or on one of the sides.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures