Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palm identification please

Posted by butiaman 7b Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 23:44

I bought this palm about 3 yrs ago from Kroger.The tag that came on it just said palm.It bloomed three times this summer and it's starting another bloom spike.One thing I do know is it wont take but about an hour or so of sun in the morning.Any help will be appreciated.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palm identification please

Its a parlor palm. They hate the sun but love being outdoors in the shade! Mine blooms almost all year long, but especially inside during the winter. They are really easy palms to take care of and yours looks very healthy. Just watch out for spider mites when indoors, keep it above freezing at all times, and never put it in full sun (but it should be okay by a bright window).
Good luck!
-Alex

o
RE: Palm identification please

• Posted by butiaman 7b Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 9:04

Thanks Alex,When I bought it there was about 10 of them in a 3 inch pot.They was maybe 2 inches tall,they looked like very small bamboo.I separated them and all of them died but this one,for some reason.Someone told me it was a butterfly palm,but when I looked them up it didn't look like the picture of the one I found.I wondered why it seems to put out bloom spikes where a old frond use to be?I don't know where Kroger gets there plants,but they need a better labeling system. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here