Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butiaman

Phoenix Sylvestris

butiaman
14 years ago

I bought a Phoenix Sylvestris from Ebay,and It arrived today.Its a 3 gallon size plant,and it came bare root,rapped in moss and tin foil.I am planning to pot it up as soon as possible.I have some MG potting soil with fertilizer in it.I also have perlite by MG.and a bag of finely ground bark chips.I thought if I put 1cup of soil to 2 cups of bark chips and 1 cup of perlite it should make a good draining potting mix for this Phoenix Palm.I have tried builders sand and potting mix before,and It made the pot heavy and it dident make the potting mix drain as well as they say its suppost to.I figured the perlite and the finely ground bark chips would make it drain good,and it wouldent way so much.Does this sound like a good idea,or am I way off track.If anybody is growing one of these palms,please let me know what you think of my mixture.or if you know something better to use?I have tried MG palm and catus potting mix and it almost rotted one of my cycads,It dont drain as well as it says on the bags,It looked like mud in the bottom of the pot when I repoted my cycad.Can someone help?I dont want to rot this rare palm.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living