Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
King palm Problem

Posted by lbphathead19 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 0:57

I just transplanted a double king palm from a pot. They are about 8 ft tall. The new growth is very green and fronds look healthy. However the stalk is soft almost feels moist inside. The stalks have a rubbery feel to them and the pieces that usually fall off are staying attached (this would mean the main stalk is not getting any bigger to open up. I will try to post pictures tomorrow.
Has anybody seen this problem or know what i can do to correct it.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: King palm Problem

I hate be the bearer of bad news..but soft crown shaft sounds very bad. On almost any plant..a shrinking trunk is fatal. King palms don't take being dug up well. But if yours is simply a big nursery bought plant..take it back-with receipt.

o

here is a pic of the palm in question. Is there anything that would cause this or that might aid in possible recovery?

o

The one on the left looks very stretched out. Was it kept in a low light area? If so,its going to take time to acclimate. One very good sign is that the crownshaft is green..not discolored.
If that "bandage" is covering anything gooey...treat with hydrogen peroxide. There are more expensive remedys..I just have never used them. The palm board at palmtalk.com people would know about using antibiotics and the like.

o

Actually the white is not a bandage it is where the last piece of the trunk that falls of didn't completly fall off.

The section that is spongy is only about 3 inches long and feels almost moist inside.

Should i hold off on watering. It was transplanted about 3 weeks ago. Im in Southern california and temps are in the 60s and 70s right now.

o

Here is a larger pic of the palm

o

They normally shed old leaf bases. Nothing to worry about. The soft and spongy sounds bad..but the Palm look normal, if a little on the thin side. It should outgrow the gawky look.

o

I am hoping so. Should i water it or let it dry ou a bit. I really watered it well when I transplanted it.

o

They love water. Unless we get a very rainy winter.and some mulch too would help. ALL things transplanted like mulch to keep the soil moisture constant and even. Cacti are exceptions of course!

o

Thanks for the help I will keep you posted

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here